Please sign in to post.

Plane to train timing at cdg

International arrival in Paris (cdg) at 8:00 A.M. and want to catch a 9:00 A.M. high speed train to Strasbourg--do I have enough time to get bags and pass through customs and get to the lower level depot?

Posted by
3701 posts

You do not have enough time.

Posted by
15585 posts

The best advice is to buy train tickets after you've debarked, walked through half the airport to immigration, gone through that line, claimed your luggage and walked through another half of the airport to the train station. No one can predict how long it will take or how many delays you may encounter.

Posted by
2466 posts

If you are coming in the near future, your train might be delayed due to the on-going rail strikes.
If you're flying AirFrance in the near future, your flight might be delayed or cancelled due to a strike.

But you still won't have enough time to get from CDG to the train - depends on how quickly your bags are unloaded and how many people are in line in front of you at Passport Control.

If the strikes are still on-going, you can catch the next train to Strasbourg with the ticket you already have. But you won't be assured of getting a seat.
If your flight is affected, you'll have to check with the ticket agent about arrangements.

Posted by
2625 posts

Not a chance. Safest thing is to buy tickets on arrival - even though they're more expensive...if you're insistent on a ticket in advance, I'd give myself 3 or 4 hours, I guess, but then you might be waiting around for quite a while if your flight arrives on time.

Posted by
4853 posts

You really don't have enough time to make that connection. It may very well take you that long just to clear customs even if the plane arrives on time which is not always the case. Chani and Valerie are spot on. Wait until you arrive to get the train tickets. It might cost a little more, but at least you'll know you will get on the train.

Posted by
8063 posts

The rule of thumb is at least 3 hours between landing and train from CDG. You should expect an hour just from landing to clear immigration. It can go quicker if there are no other big jets landing ahead of you but it can also take longer if it is crowded that day. An hour is impossible. With two if everything goes perfectly and the plane isn't half an hour late which is totally common. (in the last 10 trips to Europe our plane has been late 8 times -- once by 5 hours)

Posted by
2466 posts

Remember - if you have nothing to declare, you do not pass through Customs.
Everyone must pass through Passport Control when entering France.

Posted by
2916 posts

Highly unlikely you'd make it, although not impossible. We recently made it to Gare Montparnasse from CDG 2 hours after the plane arrived. And that was on a day of RER/Metro strikes.

Posted by
368 posts

Nope. The last time I was in CDG I had 1 1/2 hours from the time my plane landed to get to my train. Plane was 2 hours late arriving in Paris and it took 45 minutes from the time I got off the plane to baggage check. Missed my train but was able to get one 30 minutes later. Even if I had carried on I would have missed the train. Give your self at least 2 hours and hope you flight is not late.

Posted by
3941 posts

I'd not take the chance - the only time we flew into CDG, I guess we lucked out. Arrived in the morning and apparently there weren't any other planes landing at the time as we were thru passport in less than 5 min - I almost did a happy dance. Didn't have bags to pick up, got slightly turned around looking for trains in the chaos that was the arrivals/checking in area. But I think it was just a lucky fluke and I wouldn't count on that happening again (since we've had arrivals at Heathrow where we were thru in 10 min, and others where it was 45 min or more). But you never can tell what will happen with flights.

I'd prob just suck it up and pay more for the ticket when I arrived, because you never know when delays will happen.

Posted by
1109 posts

another bet that what you plan won't work for any of the reasons already mentioned (late flight, delay getting of plane, time to get bags, etc)

Posted by
1109 posts

another bet that what you plan won't work for any of the reasons already mentioned (late flight, delay getting of plane, time to get bags, etc)