Please sign in to post.

Pickpockets in Paris...?????

My husband and I just got home last night from a 2 week trip to France. We flew in to Paris, rented a car and did Normandy, Mont. St. Michel, the Loire Valley ( Chambord was flooded and closed!) and then back to Paris for 4 days and home. This was our second trip to Paris. Last time we stayed near the Eiffel Tower and caught the metro to all of the museums, Notre Dame and tourist spots. This time we stayed at Hotel Lutece on the Ile St. Louis. We decided to walk to our destinations since we were more centrally located and we did so each day.
I do not know whether it was our location or timing....last trip we were there in mid-July for a week......but we had NO ENCOUNTERS with pickpockets. Our first trip they seemed to be EVERYWHERE. I decided it was because we did not take the metro at all......or maybe the this time of the summer they are not as prevalent. We could see them last trip stalking tourists as they left museums or walked along the Seine and we had 2 try to pull the "golden ring" trick with us. This trip the last 2 weeks we were shocked to not have any encounters......anyone have any thoughts on this?

Posted by
75 posts

I was in Paris a couple of weeks ago (before the flooding). Rode the Metro a lot. No encounters with pickpockets there OR anywhere else.

Posted by
3685 posts

Did you go to Notre Dame, the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower, i.e. the pickpocket hot spots during this trip? I rarely see pickpockets in Paris but I do not ride the Metro or the RER a lot and I almost never go to the main crowded tourist hot spot. Another factor could be that having been to Paris before you walked around like you knew where you were going and were not looking around as much -- meaning they were there but you did not notice them. Or maybe the current security measures have driven pickpockets underground.

Posted by
53 posts

They may be on vacation or in more fruitful spots, .. perhaps, the Riviera..

everyone needs a break

Posted by
6487 posts

Or they all washed away! We could hope! ;-)

Or maybe they just left you alone because you looked like you knew where you were going and what you were doing, and didn't use the Metro. Or maybe you were just as lucky as the thousands of visitors who don't encounter them anyway. They're a problem in some areas but the odds are still in your favor, after all. There are a lot more of us than them!

Posted by
2466 posts

A lot of pickpockets are busy working the area around Galeries Lafayette, Printemps, l'Opera Garnier - because that's where the busloads of Asian tourists unload so they can go shopping and take photos. Many of them are victims, unfortunately.

You won't see any near the Eiffel Tower, due to the soccer finals, though there are plenty of them working along the Champs-Elysees.

Posted by
39 posts

Years ago, my friend and I traveled to Paris and we were the victims of pickpockets, probably on the Metro. It was a lesson I carried with me on a recent trip.

During eight days in Paris in May, we only had one experience with pickpockets/street thugs. We were departing a Metro train near Montmartre (highly overrated but that's another post), when two young men seemed as confused as we did about how to depart the station. We were looking up a set of winding steps but my instincts were not to go up unless I knew my destination. My husband approached a businessman near an elevator who said, 'you can go up the stairs and get mugged or you can get on the elevator.' We took the elevator and the general conversation among Parisians with us was that those thugs were targeting us as they do many others.

The area below Sacre Couer was crawling with these guys who tie strings on your finger. It was unsettling and quite bizarre to see families standing with these guys and chatting.

We rode the Metro every day and didn't have any problems in any other parts of the city.

Tips: act like a Parisian which is to generally make no eye contact and keep moving. Prep for your day with maps etc. before you go out. Just be careful engaging with strangers. Not everyone is a pickpocket. We helped a grateful Spanish family find a metro stop using our map and sign language.

Posted by
80 posts

Hey....I'm Asian....not going with a big group, but you think Asians are targeted more?

Posted by
8035 posts

Pickpockets who are effective are not noticed. You only notice when you later discover your wallet or money gone. My acquaintance who had his wallet picked at the Orsay didn't notice any pickpockets either.

Posted by
2602 posts

Though I take all the precautions I was still a trifle anxious about going to Paris (and Prague, last year), but despite riding the metro every day for a week and going to the usual tourist attractions, I had no problems. I saw the petition girls at the Eiffel tower and the who-knows-what scam artists at Sacre Couer but as I am a fairly imposing and quick-moving person these people tend to leave me alone. Leaving the Louvre by the courtyard area I sensed a guy who seemed to want to approach me from the side, seemed there was another guy who shook his head at him and I turned and gave him a severe look and he went the other way.

Mostly I will use my map in public if needed, but first I assess the area--near the St Paul metro in the Marais it did not feel like the right place to seem lost, some sketchy folks that were eyeing people.

Before I head out every day I have my metro riding plans written on a little sticky note, helps avoid being confused in or on the metro. I observed the locals--reading their papers or on their phones, purses and bags hanging loosely or even open behind them, vs tourists who clutch their bags and watch the line maps above, worried about their stop. I tried to be somewhere in between a local and a tourist--bag in front of me, confident of my stop so I could sit if possible and relax.

Posted by
2466 posts

If you're not with the big bus tour groups who are known to carry lots of cash with the sole intent of purchasing big suitcases full of stuff at the department stores in this area - and if you make certain to pay attention to your belongings at all times - you'll be fine. Pay particular attention to your smartphone, and don't use it on the Metro or in crowds unless it's absolutely necessary.

Posted by
12172 posts

I don't think Asians are targeted because of race. It's more about big tour bus groups. Buses drop large groups of tourists off at a relatively small number of spots each day. The people who get off the buses typically have money or valuables loosely secured and often represent the easiest, and most lucrative, targets for theives.

There may be more Asian tour groups now than in the past. If so, they would be targeted more only because there are more to target.

If you're traveling outside of a group, have your valuables secure, and look like you know where you're going, you're unlikely to have problems with pickpockets. Everyone can have problems with other scammers. The best advice was given above, either pay no attention to them and walk past without talking to them or give them a stern "non" when they approach you and keep walking. Engaging them may not end badly but it means you are their current target.

Posted by
9099 posts

As the European soccer championships start tomorrow, it's possible some of the pickpockets have decided to disperse to some of the other venues across France to share the love;)

Posted by
32198 posts

Maybe the Chinese government has threatened to send some Chinese Police officers to Paris as they did in Rome, and the pickpockets are all heading for the hills ;-)

Posted by
9420 posts

I've spent years in Paris alone, with family, with friends and none of us ever saw or experienced pickpockets.

Posted by
6487 posts

Well, Susan, obviously they know not to mess with you.

If one did, you'd grab him by the ear and haul him down to the Luxembourg Gardens and turn him over to the flic who watches over your reserved chair there! ;-)

Posted by
75 posts

I'm with Susan. Neither I, my traveling companions, or anyone we know has ever experienced any trouble with pickpockets. I don't even notice them. I don't think we are special. I just think we are smart and not looking around trying to find them.

Posted by
9420 posts

Thank you K2. I agree that we're not special. I think if it happens to you, or someone you know, or you read this or other travel forums, you naturally would think it happens all the time. My point is that a person can spend years in Paris (and I use the Mêtro a lot) and never see it or have it happen to them, ie, it's not happening all the time all around you wherever you go. That said, I am very street smart and very aware of people near me.

And Dick, you know me too well... : )

Posted by
9549 posts

Conversely, I ride the metro every day to and from work (and wherever else I'm going on the weekends), and have seen pickpockets a million times. Not necessarily when they're picking someone's pocket. Sometimes they're resting, waiting, deciding what train to get onto, or simply not in the moment of action. You may not know what you're seeing that you're not noticing.

Posted by
10176 posts

We've seen plenty and had a couple of unsuccessful attempts over the decades. Susan you've got to get off that island and out of that chair in the Jardin de Luxembourg if you want to see the action. The obvious ones are the Roma kids, but the well-dressed professionals you'd never suspect are out there too.

Posted by
17861 posts

Years in Paris, street smart & never seen a pick pocket are 3 terms that can not be used in the same sentence with out contradiction. But you are less likely to have your pockets picked in Paris than in Martha's Vineyard.

I had a young lady try and unzip my back pack while it was on my back and I have sat on a benh beside the Eiffel tower, and along with the police, have watched some young ladies picking pockets in the crowd. They would move near us, pull the cash out of the wallet and then toss the wallet in the bushes; all in plain sight of the police.

Posted by
115 posts

FWIW, I just got back from 15 days in Europe with five days in France (Paris & Bayeux). Been there several times before and always use a money belt. Did not encounter pickpockets anywhere but Paris. My personal observations were that pickpocketing was on the increase, especially around the Eiffel Tower. I saw several of the classic techniques being applied.

For the first time, I also became a pickpocketing victim on this trip. In my case my cell phone was pickpocketed at Gare du Nord. We now all know how to protect our money, credit cards and passport--don't forget about your cell phone too!

Posted by
53 posts

I like to think that "cargo" pants, with a pocket on the side is good protection against pick pockets. Does anyone have any experience in this area?
BTW, i was a victim of pick pockets, it was a well orchestrated maneuver, using a team of 4 guys. I had no idea until moments later. It was on a subway train in NYC where one guy held the door, they all got out just as the train was about to leave...

Posted by
23240 posts

No, no, no. Pocket on the side are terrible. No protection. There are many reports on this site of loses from front pockets of tight jeans. A side pocket is sweet pickings for a good pickpocket.

Posted by
1307 posts

Well, I was pickpocketed in a Paris metro station although the only thing he got was a little vinyl bag with extra camera batteries and the memory chip from the first half of my trip.
My suitcase got stuck in the turnstile and he came up to "help" me. The little bag was in the outer outside pocket of my shoulder day bag.
This happened on my 10th trip to Europe, so I certainly knew better than to be so careless, but I was distracted and momentarily panicked.
It can happen to anyone, but that doesn't mean that it WILL happen. And now I travel with a cross body bag!

Posted by
75 posts

If you spend time at this forum, you are left with some strong impressions from many of the frequent posters. Here is what you are made to believe:

• Pickpockets are everywhere, just everywhere. You and/or your companions will most likely be victims. You cannot avoid this.

• Extreme packing is an acceptable sport

• Checking baggage is foolish and unnecessary and your bag will most likely be lost

• Moneybelts are an absolute necessity; without one you are going to be robbed

• Your US credit card will not work in most places

These subjects come up regularly and frequently and although there is often lively discussion (just do a search on any of these topics to see the threads), you're still left with the impression that I listed above. I know I'm not the only traveler here who has never experienced any of these (and yes, I do go to touristy places and I do ride public transportation). I am most emphatically NOT dismissing the experiences that others have. I'm only commenting that they do not happen to everyone, which is the impression one gets in this forum.

Posted by
6487 posts

Fair enough, K2, but you're not "made to believe" these things from reading posts here. You may choose to believe them (or some of them) after reading some posts and threads, Or you may believe these things (or some of them) and post a request for help and advice, giving rise to a long and often repetitive discussion that could leave a false impression of the risks.

As for packing being an extreme sport, well I see your point, sometimes people get carried away. Backpackers are prone to the same excesses, for similar reasons. Not much really to do with theft though, more to do with weight and mobility.

As for credit cards, I think most posts here focus on how widely they are accepted and common-sense guidance about using them (like notifying the issuer before your trip). The fact that our US cards may not work in certain machines doesn't mean they won't work in face-to-face transactions.

I too have never experienced pickpocketing, lost luggage, credit card failure, or what have you, but the precautions I take help improve the odds for the good luck I need. That's all, really.

Posted by
17861 posts

My take would be

• Pickpockets are a problem in Paris. With a little common sense, you can avoid being a victim.
  • Packing light has its benefits.
  • Checking baggage …. Well I don’t know where you got that from.
  • Money belts might put your mind at ease so you can enjoy your trip.
  • Your US credit card …. Again, don’t know where you got this from.
  • Martha's Vineyard is more dangerous.
Posted by
11507 posts

Just got back. .30 days in Europe.. gangly group of 5 to 7 of us.. ( some family and friends only joined for segements of our trip)

Only theft encountered was by my 19 yr old daughter. Hostel in Amsterdam.. they stole her boots while she slept.. her own fault she should have locked them up ( they were really nice blue leather) She knows whos fault it is.. but what a lesson.. she saved for those boots for some time.

Pickpockets are still in all major cities.. whether you report seeing them or not. Period.

They are there.

We did not feel need to wear a moneybelt ( never do) but did manage to keep all our stuff be being aware.. and having good cross body bags( not pacsafe.. just regular bags with good closures) .. or wearing backpacks( the kids not me) front wise on metros etc)
Men did not keep wallet in back pockets.

We don't interact with strangers .. so seeing the "speak English " ladies does not faze us.. we totally ignore.
We don't care about no dam ring.. lol

In over 40 years of travel I have had two attempts.. I foiled both in progress and both times my fault for being distracted .. I can deal with that..

Number one issue is BE AWARE not paranoid or weird about it.