Please sign in to post.

Picasso Museum

Question about the Picasso Museum in Paris. The day of arrival, I know we'll be exhausted from the flight. I was wondering about visiting the Picasso Museum and then walking to Place des Vosages, and Place de la Bastille. Is that too much? Would it be better to just walk to the Places and get some dinner? The next 4 days are pretty full.

Posted by
2602 posts

It seems do-able to me; might depend on your arrival time and how you handle jet lag. My first day in Paris I was out exploring by 1 pm and hit the Pompidou, Notre Dame and Conciergerie and explored surrounding areas near my hotel in the 6th arr before finding dinner and collapsing. I enjoyed the Picasso museum, spent around 2 hours there.

Posted by
2469 posts

Actually we did this in April when we spent 4 days in Paris. We stayed in a hotel on Saint-Louis en Lille, walked over the bridge then to Place de la Bastille and the Picasso Museum and Place des Vosges. Very easy walking. My friend was undone by the heat so we took a taxi back to the hotel. It was mid-80's in April, surprisingly hot to us for the spring but I understand it has been very hot in much of Europe this summer.
What is your arrival time? And where are you staying, is it close to the Marais District?

Also, I find the more time I spend walking in the fresh air the quicker my jet lag is conquered! Enjoy your time in Paris.

Posted by
1025 posts

I found the Picasso Museum to be a bit of a let down, especially after the Picasso Museum in Barcelona. With that said, any kind of museum on arrival day seems to be a real snooze inducer, so I prefer outdoor activities followed by a relatively early dinner (7:00-8:00 pm) and reasonable bedtime. The Place des Vosges is interesting to walk around in, and is close to many restaurants in the Marais. The Place de la Bastille is a non-event, a big open area where the prison once stood. By all means go to say you have been there, but neither the prison nor the railway station still exist. The area has a wealth of decent places to eat, however, and to people watch as well. Enjoy!

Posted by
1103 posts

On one of our visits to Paris, we went to the Pere Lachaise cemetery on our arrival day. It was relaxing and interesting, and not as intense as a museum.

Posted by
11156 posts

I like to go on a boat ride on the Seine on arrival day. Jet lag hits me aeound 4 in the afternoon with a nine hour time change. I keep going through dinner and my normal bed time though. I would find a museum difficult the first day.

Posted by
3961 posts

I would second the idea of taking the boat on the Seine. Great introduction without exhausting yourselves. For us, just getting out for fresh air, walking & getting a good nights
sleep prepares for an active second day. We recently watched Genius: Picasso series. We loved it! Enjoy Picasso!

Posted by
23267 posts

We took that boat ride and promptly fell asleep. There is no substitute to staying awake and walking in the sun. We have now found that if we take a two hour (max) nap in early afternoon we fair much better with jet lag.

Posted by
2186 posts

Well, we did the Picasso Museum ( and the Musee Marmottan - Monet) on our first day with a morning arrival. I can't remember the exact arrival time, but it must have been early because we did the Marmottan and then had lunch at the Picasso Museum. We wandered the Place de Vosges afterwards.
We liked both those museums on the first day because they weren't crowded and they are smaller museums. The Picasso Museum in Paris filled in blanks about his life and his relationships, as well as works from the various periods in his art work.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks for all the input. I have changed the Picasso Museum for the 4th day in Paris, and who knows, we might just skip it. We are staying not too far from Marais, and will just go walking in the Places. We are staying in a small rental and will need to pick up a few breakfast things on arrival day. I have the cemetery visit planned for the morning of the day after we arrive.

Posted by
12172 posts

Walking is always a great idea on that first day, especially if it's a sunny day. Inside in quiet, dark places may put you out on your feet. A quick trip to a familiar museum might not be a bad idea. If I went to a museum I've been dying to visit and stayed a few hours, I'd be worried I wouldn't even remember what I saw the next day.