Please sign in to post.

Phone for France

We are going to France next month and will be doing a bit of driving--from Paris to Bayeux. We don't need a phone for anything else but we would like to have one while we drive just in case of an emergency. Hopefully we never need it, but would just feel better. Anyone have any suggestions? I currently have an iPhone.

Posted by
331 posts

Who is your service provider? If you only want to use it as a back up then see if your provider has an international plan. I prefer to use a local provider, however, my wife just wanted to use our home provider and it worked well for her.

Posted by
1375 posts

For France, Italy, Austria and Germany I have used my iPhone with the 30-day international plans as well as a phone I purchased through,Euro Buzz, http://www.eurobuzz.com/home/. I find that I use my iPhone more because of the smartphone options over the basic phone from Euro Buzz. Next Spring I will just be using my iPhone as my primary phone. One less thing to carry or worry about.
Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
183 posts

We were there in sept. Used our I phones , had a plan from Canada using the data plan. Was good once we got off the subway we used the map to find cafes or restaurants

Posted by
32219 posts

I agree with John's suggestion. Assuming you're with one of the U.S. cellular networks, contact them for information on their international roaming options. As you're just using it for emergencies, you could leave it turned off unless needed. If you have to turn it on to make a call, be sure to switch the cellular data off.

Posted by
28 posts

I am with AT&T so I will give them a call. Thanks everyone--I tend to over think stuff like this!