Please sign in to post.

Paying for French Autoroutes

I've recently heard about Liber-t pass and Bip&Go, but am not sure how either of them work. Does anyone have experience with either? We will be traveling by car in France for 10 days in July 2024 and are wondering about the most efficient way to pay for autoroute tolls. Would it be worth it to sign up for some sort of toll pass or plan on paying with credit card? I've also heard that cards can be iffy at times....I'll be grateful to hear about your experiences and suggestions!

Posted by
99 posts

Have a card and cash with you that all times and you will be just fine. Remember the tolls in France are pretty expensive so be prepared for it. Some of the tunnel tolls could take your breath away. We cancelled a driving trip when I added up the tolls and took the trains. Have a great time.

Posted by
9584 posts

To get an exact amount of how much tolls on your route(s) will cost, put your itinerary in ViaMichelin (website or app), in "Route Planner."

Posted by
32776 posts

I have had Libert-t for many years, and it works very well for me but I wouldn't necessarily suggest it for a few tolls over 10 days.

In addition to getting the device, you will need to attach it to speckled part of the windscreen behind the mirror, you will have to pay a deposit for it, you will have to pay a monthly usage fee, unless your usage goes from one month to the next in which case you will pay 2 months fee, plus all the tolls. Then you have to find a way to return the device.

For the few trips you will make I suggest sticking with credit card or cash.

Posted by
645 posts

KateN,
Last May/June we used our credit card at all toll locations on the autoroute and it was a snap to just tap the card and get going. We did keep cash on hand just in case. We were in Provence, the Bordeaux region and the Dordogne region. We had no issue anywhere, so I guess we were lucky, but during past trips, we never had a problem either. Bponne chance!

Posted by
32776 posts

the reason I rely on the Liber-t is that my wife is disabled so she can't see and understand the booths, and we have a right hand drive English car so I need a co-pilot in the left seat. Since she can't help me I use the Liber-t lanes and zip through and just pay the extra costs as needed.

Maybe you might need it for that reason.