Please sign in to post.

Passport Question

Hello all!
First time traveling to Europe this summer. Do you keep your physical passport on you during the day while sightseeing or do you keep it in the hotel safe? Should you at least have a copy on you if you leave it at the hotel? Also, should you have a copy of hotel confirmations when you land at the airport for Customs? Thanks everyone! Very thankful for this community!

Posted by
20137 posts

It is really passport control that would be interested in your hotel confirmation. I doubt if they will want to see it, but you can have it handy if you want.
I usually leave my passport at the hotel, but technically, it is your only legal ID while in France. A copy would have no significance if you had occasion to need it.

Posted by
855 posts

For people who leave their passport at the hotel, where do you leave it? In the room, hidden somewhere? At the front desk? In a room safe? Just curious what people mean by "leave it at the hotel". What else do you "leave" in your room?

I carry mine in a neck wallet anytime I go out, more because I want to protect the passport from theft than anything else. I also carry my credit cards inside the wallet - if I am going out and anticipate I will use a CC, I remove it from the wallet before leaving the hotel rather than accessing the wallet in public.

Technically a passport is the only legal ID that the authorities will want to see from you. It has never happened to me, but this reminds me of a recent discussion here about traveling with Rx in original packaging in case border control wants to see it - I have never been asked for it, but it is the law in France, so what to do? My philosophy is that I follow all laws when abroad, so on my upcoming trip to France I will carry Rx in original packaging, and I will carry my passport in my neck wallet when out of the hotel. YMMV...

Posted by
855 posts

If the border control asks where you are staying, be able to tell them the name of the hotel, I keep that in my shirt pocket on an index card, because when I get a taxi at the airport, I will show that to the driver to avoid any confusion about my destination...be sure to write the hotel name and address that includes the street number and the "zip code" that tells the driver which arrondissement, right bank or left bank, etc.

Posted by
4853 posts

To reiterate, your passport is the only legitimate form of identification, and is the only thing that proves you are in the country legally. You may never need to produce it, but consider some practical reasons for having it with you (secured of course). You have a medical emergency such as happened to two people we know who were unable to return to the hotel. A fire, earthquake, demonstration, or storm damage prevents your return to the hotel. That has been known to happen. Someone on this forum once stated something along the lines of "With my passport and credit cards I can handle anything that occurs". Think about that. We are not "Nervous Nellies", and always hope for the best, but it doen't hurt to prepare for the worst.

Posted by
2743 posts

This back and forth conversation goes on several times during the year. For more info, you can look through the search feature.
That said, basically following TC's advice, I carry my passport, backup CCs, ATM card, insurance cards, spare cash in my money belt. It's not for immediate, daily money. For comfort I use a stashbandz money belt. I tried a neck wallet but didn't like the bulk. Last year I also carried my CDC card but this year it can stay in my suitcase (doubt if I need it).

Posted by
1625 posts

I carry my Hotel/AirBNB Confirmation that has the property address when I land, not for customs but so I can hand it to the Taxi Driver to show him where I am going if there is a language barrier. This has worked great for me, they always acknowledge, say the address out loud and hand it back to me.

In regards to the Passport, do what makes you feel safe. We do not carry our passports due to the risk of being pickpocketed (purses included), and to have to replace them would be a huge hassle and could interfere with travel plans. We carry colored copies AND our US Drivers license (I am thinking I am knocked unconscious at least they have my name and home location) and I also use the Driver License to leave for Audio guides when an ID is required for collateral.

Posted by
3702 posts

I carry my passport in an inner zipped pocket of my travel crossbody purse. I used to carry a copy and leave the original at my accommodations but I stopped doing that in early 2016. When I used to leave the original behind, I left it in an inner secret zipped pocket in my locked suitcase.

Posted by
6562 posts

I’ve been asked by immigration on a couple recent trips where I was staying the first night in country. Once was in Spain and the other England. I keep a list of hotels handy, so it wasn’t an issue. Most of the time I carry my passport with me with a copy in the hotel and on the cloud.