Please sign in to post.

Passport Question

My family and I leave for Paris in a little over 7 weeks. I have been getting geared up for quite some time with planning but took some time tonight to look into logistics and practicals. The government site states that my passport should be valid for 3 months after departing France. Rick’s guidebook states a 6 month suggestion. I checked my passport and low and behold my expiration is 6 months to the day of my departure. Am I good to go? Should I just pay for expedited renewal? Standard renewal is 4-6 and that makes me nervous given the time. Thanks!

Posted by
8059 posts

Schengen allows 90 days; 3 mos after that is about 6 mos. Some airlines enforce a six month rule i.e. 3 months after your Schengen permitted period. If you have 6 most I wouldn't worry although there are no guarantees in life.

Posted by
6509 posts

I'd go ahead with the same passport. Not clear whether "the government site" refers to French or US, but you're well out of the 3-month range. As far as I know, Rick Steves isn't making decisions about admitting people to countries.

I would not take a chance with 4-6-week passport renewal if you leave in 7 weeks.

Posted by
1221 posts

The airlines use the TIMATIC database to check document requirements and it generally is synced well with national immigration rules because the airlines face heavy fines if an international passenger is denied entry at their final destination. United has a public access point to TIMATIC here:

https://www.united.com/web/en-us/apps/vendors/default.aspx?i=TIMATIC

For USA passport visiting France it returns info including:

"Passport required.

Document validity rules:

Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be valid for a minimum of 3 months beyond the period of intended stay."

Posted by
11180 posts

Should I just pay for expedited renewal?

Probably a good idea.

Showing up at your departure airport and having a boarding agent with an interpretation of what a 'valid' passport is that excludes yours because of its near term expiration date is not a risk I would enjoy taking. Starting a 'discussion' with the gate agent about passport validity is likely to not end happily.

Posted by
2466 posts

I wouldn't pay for the 6 months' passport. You should be good.
The crucial time is having 3 months' passport...then you should think about renewal.

Posted by
2545 posts

The government site states that my passport should be valid for 3 months after departing France. Rick’s guidebook states a 6 month

The government assumes you re staying the maximum amount of time or 90 days. Your passport must be valid up to 90 days after that or 6 months. The government site and RS are saying to same thing.

If you do not have 6 months of passport validity on your departure date, you are at great risk of being denied boarding on your US departure.

My recent experience is that renewals take about 2 weeks but there are no guarantees.

Posted by
2343 posts

The advice above is good, but it will actually depend on the immigration officer you meet in France. Since you don't know who that is or how literal (or not) they will be about the timing on expiration, the real question is, are you willing to leave your family in France and come back home? Personally, I wouldn't take the risk. Pay for the expedited service, or make the drive to Chicago to a passport office. Here's the info on your options for a quicker renewal: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/hurry.html

Posted by
1221 posts

The government assumes you're staying the maximum amount of time or 90 days.

Not if you have proof of an onward plane ticket that says you're leaving Schengen territory in two weeks.

Posted by
15 posts

Thank you all for the feedback. I think I would most likely be ok, but I went ahead and sent in my renewal application this morning and expedited it. My wife's doesn't expire until late December so she is beyond the 6 months cushion. Random timing that mine is 6 months to the day of my leaving France.

Now back to the fun part of trip planning. Take care everyone!

Posted by
423 posts

I just renewed my passport- its all done thru the mail now- downloaded forms- got pictures at Walmart- was told no need to expedite by woman at post office who used to work at US Passport Office- mailed in with fee for renewal by regular mail with tracking to make sure they received it- and received in 2 weeks. They also mail you back your original one in a separate envelope.

Posted by
546 posts

This requirement is cited by almost all governments. In 40+ years of traveling the world with passports in many stages of validity I have NEVER been asked about this or had any attempt to enforce this rule. So If I were you I wouldnt worry about it.

Posted by
4000 posts

I think I would most likely be ok, but I went ahead and sent in my
renewal application this morning and expedited it. My wife's doesn't
expire until late December so she is beyond the 6 months cushion.

Smart move. When you both return from your trip, your wife can renew hers. When I renewed mine recently, the new one arrived 15 days later, non-expedited. Your wife's might arrive within 3 weeks too.

Posted by
12172 posts

Really they want you to have a valid passport when you fly home. The three month afterward is a guideline that relates to your Schengen limit, just in case something happens. If you have a passport that is good for six months after the day you fly home, you're completely fine. I'd wait and order a new passport after you get back.