Please sign in to post.

Paris with kids

We will be in Paris with our 3 children. Any suggestions navigating the city or must see with children would be appreciated. Also a suggestion of where to stay as well. Thanks in advance!

Posted by
81 posts

Hi! Can you give us more information such as age of kids - because what I'd recommend for a 4 year old would be different from a 14 year old! Also, what time of year will you be going as that will impact the activities suggested.

Posted by
381 posts

With three children I would definitely prefer to rent an apartment than be in hotel rooms. This would simply some meals such as breakfast by making a quick trip to a market or grocery store. You could also stock some snacks or even picnic items for lunch. Depending on the ages of your children spreading them out and giving them additional space (as well as for the adults!!) is always a good thing. I am sure there are many apartment rental options in whichever area you chose.

Posted by
4 posts

Hi Donna,
Sorry should have mentioned that! Our kids are 8, 6 and 4. We will be there either this weekend or next. Nothing like last minute planning 🙈

Posted by
490 posts

If it is just a weekend, do what the parents want and kids will have fun too. Paris has wonderful pocket parks everywhere, not to mention the main ones, so you can always take a break. Also there are carousels near most major tourist sights, a boat ride is always a fun idea with children. When in doubt buy them gelato from Amorino.

You may find that taking taxis longer distances might be best on a short visit with so many little ones....the Metro is always a long walk down stairs and tunnels, regular city buses can be a good way to get around as well as see some sights along the way. The 69 bus is a good example.

I do not know anything about this website, I just google Paris bus 69 and found this so it may help you overall.
https://www.parisperfect.com/blog/2012/09/the-69-bus-see-all-the-top-sights-in-paris/

Have fun!

Posted by
15810 posts

Jardin du Luxembourg is another great spot for kids. Shoot, I'm a well-beyond-expiration-date-kid and I love that one!

https://en.parisinfo.com/paris-museum-monument/71393/Jardin-du-Luxembourg

And do take them to Notre Dame to see the gargoyles and chimères? Ooh, wonderfully weird creatures that the kids will find fascinating. You don't have to go up in the towers if you don't want to make the climb; pack a pair of binoculars for better viewing from the ground.

A little about the critters lifted from a travel piece I wrote about the church:

Gargoyles:
"It (Note Dame) is also one of those rare churches that is more interesting on the outside than in. Its soaring towers, graceful flying buttresses, menacing gargoyles, intricate stone tracery and images of saints overshadow an interior largely stripped of original tombs and statuary, although the windows are beautiful. Those gargoyles? They are more than just ornaments: their long necks funnel rainwater away from the foundation and make a gargling sound from whence the name possibly originated. And why do they look so threatening? Theories are many: maybe to represent a monstrous mythical dragon of similar name, chase evil spirits away, or frighten wayward parishioners into repentance. A good look at a few of those things after a night of drunken revelry might just turn a sinner into a saint...until the next Saturday, anyway?"

Chimères:
"But most visitors come (top of the towers) to see the chimères; those fanciful creatures keeping baleful watch over the rooftops of Paris. These differ from the gargoyles in that their purpose is strictly decorative, and they are a much more recent addition to the architecture. The Galerie des Chimères was added during the mid-1800's restoration, and the church website has this to say about the figures:

"Although some of them may be frightening, they remind us that all creatures are the work of God, so they deserve His love and salvation"

And yes, riding the BatoBus - Paris' version of a hoho bus on water - might be great fun for all:

http://www.batobus.com/en/stations.html

Enjoy lovely Paris!!!

Posted by
2261 posts

As JJ points out, there are LOTS of small parks around Paris, and that makes it easy to design a walking route of interest to adults and kids.

Check out the Bois de Boulogne-a huge green space where you can rent a rowboat and putter around on the small (very calm) lake-you leave a 50 Euro refundable security deposit. Just adjacent to the Bois is the Louis Vuitton Foundation museum (modern) and Le Jardin d’Acclimatation, a kids funpark:

http://jardindacclimatation.fr/activites/

https://en.parisinfo.com/paris-museum-monument/71494/Bois-de-Boulogne

Posted by
2466 posts

It would probably be difficult to rent an apartment at this late date, especially if you aren't staying long.
You can book one or more hotel rooms which will have air-conditioning - temperatures are in the upper 20's and climbing. Residential apartments do not have air-conditioning.
The 5th or 6th arrondissement would be easiest for kids. But the 11th and 14th arrondissement tend to be less expensive. The Metro makes it easy to get wherever you want to go.
Make sure to protect your valuables - it's easy to get distracted when dealing with kids...

Posted by
1825 posts

With three young children I'd stay as close to Luxembourg garden as possible.