Please sign in to post.

Paris with children

We are headed for a 6 day trip to Paris. We are all very active and excited about this trip. I have 3 girls ages 8, 12, and 13. We are flying in On Sunday afternoon in April. My thoughts are to keep the days light with only one or 2 major sights and the rest of the time strolling the streets and parks. As a family we love history. We have been living in Italy for some time now so churches get old fast for the kids. Their thought is seen one cathedral you have seen them all. Below is a very tentative itinerary. Any guidance to make this the best experience is appreciated.

Sunday- check out Eifel's tower and walk around (hotel is near the tower), Notre Dame and if time hear a concert if there is one.
Monday- Notre Dame, Rick's Paris walk
Tuesday- Louvre, Arc de triumph
Wed- Versailles
Thur- Pantheon, shopping
Fri- Catacombs, Top of Eifel tower,

We will be using the Museum pass and metro to get around. Any ideas, thoughts and tips are greatly appreciated.

Posted by
3948 posts

We were in Paris with granddaughters last summer, ages 10 and 13. They loved the parks and opportunities to interact with other kids, river cruise, Velib rentals (first 30 minutes free), Musee d'Orsay, cafes and boulangeries, walks, markets and shopping in second hand stores. The liked the kid friendly activities along the Seine and Bassin de la Villette but I think these are only fully functioning with extra activities during the late summer. I think your pace is very sane with teens. You'll know if it's too much or little and you can always adjust. Be sure to involve the girls in your planning. That's one reason we picked M d'O over the Louvre, the 10 year old really wanted to see the bronze Degas dancer --a highlight for all of us, seeing her see the ballerina for the first time.

Btw if you do go to Norte Dame on Sunday you may want to go somewhere else on Monday.

Posted by
2349 posts

There are whole long threads on whether or not you should go to Versailles. I found some of it to be jaw-dropping. I also found it very claustrophobic. This was in October, on a Friday, with museum pass. The grounds are often suggested as a great option for kids. You might want to have a backup plan in case it's raining, as it was the day I was there. Or pick a different chateau nearby, like Vaux-le-Vicomte or Fountainebleu.

Right across from the Pantheon is the church of St. Etienne du Mont. Neat church inside, and the steps are the ones that transported Owen Wilson back in time in "Midnight in Paris."

With those two sites on Friday, it might be known as The Day with the Long Lines.

My girls loved the bouquinistes along the Seine. Little permanent book stalls, with souvenirs. Shopping for them, strolling for me.

For history, the Conciergerie on the Ile de la Cite would be good. Also covered by the pass, and it doesn't take long if you don't want it to.

Posted by
50 posts

We did a bike tour of Versailles with our girls and that was a great way to do it. You meet at a train station in Paris, go on the train to Versailles, go to a market to get picnic supplies, then pick up the bikes and go to Versailles. You spend quite a bit of time biking around the grounds, and less time doing the palace, but that really worked for us. Also, we did the Catacombs in the summer and the line was mind-boggling, but still worth it. There was no way I could get them to the Louvre, but they were more interested in smaller museums like Rodin and Picasso where we could get in and out quick. They did like the Pompidou and Musee D'Orsay (interesting for them since "Hugo" was filmed there). I would add in a night-time boat tour. That was one of my kids' favorite things we did. They were 11 and 13 when we visited, and we are going again this summer because they loved Paris so much.

Posted by
287 posts

Kids just love looking out of the windows behind the big clock at the top of the Musee d'Orsay. It was mobbed with little ones and teens the last time I was there LOL. Great view.

Posted by
15576 posts

They might enjoy the little Musee de la Poupee. It's near the Pompidou Centre, next to the Anna Frank Garden.

Posted by
2349 posts

Bit of a bait and switch there, Chani. Telling kids that they're going to a poopy museum, and then finding dolls is not quite fair.

I have put this museum on my list of Never Visit. All those dolls would creep me out.

Posted by
8293 posts

It is a very small museum (doll size, you could say) and the dolls aren't at all creepy.

Posted by
11 posts

Like others, I would recommend the musee d'orsay or even l'orangerie (Monet's water lillies) over the Louvre. L'orangerie has art workshops for kids. They both are smaller and more likely to have paintings the kids will recognize. As for churches, I find the interior of Notre Dame really gloomy and a bit boring. There may be a longer line or need for advance tickets but Ste-Chapelle with its colorful windows and intimate size may be more engaging for the kids. Definitely recommend a night boat tour of the Seine. Also, I love the Marais neighborhood and the Place des Vosges with its pretty green space and arcade of shops. Fun window shopping and the food is a nice break from the typical fare (falafel and potato latkes). Have a great trip.

Posted by
138 posts

I would second the boat ride (even to use it as transport instead of taxi or bus) and perhaps Fountainbleu as I understand it has completed a recent renovation? Also be sure to check museum days they are closed and daily hours, as that may change your schedule a bit.
As it's tough to do in one day, a couple of years ago we rented a car and drove the two hours each way out to Normandy. You could spend the night and combine that with Monet's house about 1/3 of the way out of the city.

Posted by
1005 posts

You might also consider Disneyland Paris as a bonus destination.