Please sign in to post.

Paris with a toddler

How safe is Paris for a mum with a toddler? Any tips to make the most out of the beautiful city with a stroller in a period of 2 weeks?

Posted by
6914 posts

Hi,
Safety is not an issue. And with a stroller, you'll blend right in. Transportation will be a slight issue as you basically can't take the metro (except line 14) due to lack of elevators, but buses are fine and go everywhere, they just take more time and might deny boarding at rush hour.
Especially if the child is old enough to walk a little, you can go to one of the many parks in town - Luxembourg Gardens is a classic, with a good play area too, but most gardens even small ones will have at least a small play area.
Regarding visiting indoor attractions, museums, etc. , I don't have first hand experience, but a stroller is OK in the Louvre for instance. You'll want to keep your visit shorts of course, but since you have two weeks, that's not much of an issue.

Posted by
186 posts

Use a lightweight, easy to collapse, shoulder strap Maclaren stroller and you should be fine on the metro. Just keep in mind you will be carrying your toddler and bag up and down stairs in addition to the stroller.

There are carousels and parks all around Paris, so be sure to stop at them often as a reward after visiting a museum, etc.

Eat picnics outdoors rather than attempt long meals in restaurants.

Posted by
8068 posts

I'd be nervous lugging a stroller and a toddler up and down those very steep steps of the metro by myself -- sometimes there are several flights in a row. I'd use buses.

There are little pocket parks all over Paris which always have a few toddler type playground toys like bouncy horses. All the major parks have elaborate playgrounds and often they are age graded so the bigger kids are on a different playground. Most are free; the one at Luxembourg Gardens is pay to enter.

Major museums have elevators -- the Louvre which is a palace filled with staircases has an elevator for every stair -- if you don't spot it, ask a guard. The Botanical Gardens in the Latin Quarter has both a zoo and a natural history museum and a nice carousel of endangered species.

Posted by
9420 posts

The Luxembourg Gardens are really wonderful with a toddler. The playground is very enjoyable and has bathrooms. It’s not expensive and is worth it. Right next door they also have a marionette theater/shows, a carousel, a crêpe stand, a café, ice cream, another bathroom, and pony rides some days.

I don’t know how old your toddler is, but the Jardin d’Acclimatation in the Bois de Boulogne is an old-fashioned, wonderful, amusement park geared towards appx 2-3 yrs old to 10 yr olds. They have a train, animals, gentle rides, a playground, and more. It’s clean and well run.