Please sign in to post.

Paris: Where to stay

We are 2 couples in our 50's. We will be in Paris late April of 2020. I am looking for recommendations on lodging. We will be doing VRBO's in Italy for the 2 weeks prior to arriving in Paris. I'm thinking it might be time for our own rooms by then, LOL! Can you recommend a cute boutique style hotel I like the 1st and 7th Arrondissements. It would be nice to not spend more than 150 Eruos a night per room. We have no mobility issues and will be doing the total touristy thing for 4 days.

Posted by
3707 posts

Your budget is a bit low for the areas you mention and the time of year. That being said and if you can increase the budget by around 10-20€ per night, take a look at Hotel Cambon in the 1st and Hotel Duquesne Eiffel in the 7th.

Posted by
6572 posts

We too stay at hotel Duquesne Eiffel. The room was small, as are many in Paris, but we liked the hotel and its location. I did a quick check and in early April the standard double was $169 a night. Breakfast could be added for about $14 per person. Room prices were more, later in the month.

Posted by
27163 posts

One must be careful about Airbnb in Paris. The city has been cracking down hard on illegal rentals. If the listing doesn't include a 13-digit registration number, it should be assumed to be illegal. Such rentals may be pulled off the market at any time, because if the authorities find them, there is an extremely large fine, which causes the owner to bail on pending rentals. That can leave a visitor heading for Paris soon with nowhere to stay at the last minute.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you for the heads up on the Airbnb’s. After some research I do agree that our budget for hotel rooms is too low. I appreciate the recommendations and honest reviews of suggested properties.

Posted by
202 posts

If you like the 7th, have a look at Hotel Champs du Mars. https://www.hotelduchampdemars.com/
I have stayed there twice (some time ago) and it was a nice little hotel on a quiet street just off rue Cler. I recall their prices being reasonable.

In the 1st, I have stayed at Hotel Britannique — positively charming! Might be out of the budget though...
https://www.hotel-britannique.fr/

Have a great time!

Posted by
734 posts

just did a quick search on Booking.com and lots of availability at end of April in central Paris in the 100 to 150 euro range, a lot in superb filter. ;-)

Posted by
2304 posts

hey hey PattyG
i think the same as you, get separate rooms. it will be a busy time in paris at that time with spring breaks, easter, people wanting to travel before summer begins.
looking on booking.com put your filters in and there are hotels that come up.
welcome hotel
hotel saint roch
grand hotel leveque paris
hotel de la tour eiffel
hotel atlantis
read reviews, look at pictures, what size bed, "free" breakfast or pay, cancellation restrictions. rooms and bathrooms are smaller in paris, if an elevator/lift may only fit 2 people.
have a great time in paris, we just got back from 8 days in paris and 7 days in annecy. was a great and fun trip, busy and crowded.
aloha

Posted by
62 posts

If you could increase your budget to about 200 Euro, try Hotel de Lille in the 7th. The staff were lovely, quiet street and the rooms were small but comfortable. We walked everywhere, very convenient location.

Posted by
612 posts

About the crackdown on air BnB: does anyone know if this 13-digit registration number applies to vrbo as well? I would imagine that it does but perhaps the crackdown is not as bad with vrbo as they are not as high profile as air BNB. I have never had any issues with the vrbo properties I've booked in France and Italy, but I would certainly like to avoid a 1st time!

Posted by
3707 posts

@ Kay, It's not a crackdown on Air BnB. It's an enforcement of the vacation rental rules applicable to all services that list short-term rentals on the internet. The 13-digit number is required for all listings of short-term rentals on the internet period. It does not matter what service lists the apartment, the number is required in the listing. Because Airbnb is a big player in the vacation rental space, it gets the most press attention but the requirement applies to VRBO, HomeAway, etc. I personally know a person who lives in Los Angeles who just sold his apartment in Paris that he used to rent through one of the agencies because of concerns about being "caught" by the city inspectors and his apartment was never listed on Air BnB.