Please sign in to post.

Paris transportation

My husband and I are traveling to Paris towards the end of September. What is the best way to get from the airport to our Airbnb, taxi, Uber?

Posted by
4879 posts

Taxi, ONLY from the official taxi rank outside the terminal doors. Fixed rates.

Posted by
118 posts

€55 to the Right Bank and €62 to the Left Bank.

Don’t accept any offers of a ride from anyone offering within the terminal. Get in the line for taxis and wait your turn. Make sure the sign on the top of the taxi says Taxi Parisien. It means it’s an official taxi.

You might have the address written on a piece of paper for the driver if your a French isn’t up to snuff.

No tipping!

Posted by
268 posts

RER (Regional train, from the airport into town) About 10 minutes longer than a taxi or uber, and just 12 Euros each. Stops at a number places in Paris, including Gare du Nord, Les Halles, St Michelle (Left Bank) and near the Luxembourg Gardens. You can pay with a VISA card just before you get on.

Posted by
2546 posts

The RER B/metro (11.45€) is likely to be much faster from CDG than a taxi. Taxis are faster than VTCs (such as Uber) but traffic is such that 60 minutes or more from CDG to most addresses in Paris is not uncommon.

If luggage is a concern, taxis might be a better solution.

Posted by
2745 posts

I generally use the RER but and the Metro, but... not all Paris metro stations have elevators and escalators. So if you don't want to have to haul luggage up and down stairs I'd go with Taxi.

Ubers cannot use the bus lanes, taxis can so ubers are often slower, plus the parking for uber is a farther than the taxi stand.

To get to the taxi stand as you leave the baggage claim follow the blue footsteps on the floor... Easy. And I want to stress what someone said above DO NOT ACCEPT ANY OFFERS from anyone who claims to be a taxi or offers a private ride. You will be ripped off... I read one report of someone paying 200 Euros for a 62 Euro ride!!!!~

Taxis are supposed to take credit cards but some of them will claim it's broken... So ask if that's important. You can go to another one if they say no. (On my last trip there was a taxi right by the exit from the line who told several people he didn't take credit cards. After 3 people walked on to other taxis he told the woman in front of me "oh I forgot it got fixed" He picked a bad person to do that too.. She let him have it in French, she was a local. She then took it upon herself to send about 4 other groups to other taxis while she told him off for being a jerk. I know all this because my friend is fluent in French, the other people being directed were very confused LOL)

Posted by
20 posts

Thank you for the advice everyone. It sounds like a taxi will be the best way since we will have luggage.

Posted by
9593 posts

On my last trip there was a taxi right by the exit from the line who told several people he didn't take credit cards. After 3 people walked on to other taxis he told the woman in front of me "oh I forgot it got fixed" He picked a bad person to do that too.. She let him have it in French, she was a local. She then took it upon herself to send about 4 other groups to other taxis while she told him off for being a jerk.

Carol I love it !! Good for that woman. At least she wasted a little bit of his time.

Posted by
4412 posts

I've had a few instances where the machine "wouldn't accept" the several cards I offered, perhaps he was fishing for cash instead but never said so. Finally had a card that worked.

The best way to get to your destination is the one that works best for you, taxi, train, bus, subway, whatever suits you. You could also get a private car to pick you up.

Posted by
48 posts

It is not an issue to have luggage on the RER. It can become more difficult if you have to change to a metro line, but we always do. We have had a few cram into a train experiences, but the metro can be like that. RER-B itself had always had room for luggage as far as I remember.

Now that I think about it, taking 4 people on the RER might be worth taking a taxi instead. Not sure if you can taxi for 4 for the same price though. We are always 2 adults and 2 kids with 1 big bag and a backpack.

Posted by
8063 posts

Fixed price for taxi is for 4 persons and luggage. Luggage is not a problem on the RER or even metro -- but a major problem on metro stairs. It is not unusual to have multiple flights of very steep stairs on a metro trip. Unless you are young and strong or packed very light, schlepping luggage up and down stairs on the metro can be a challenge. when we were 45 we took the RER into Paris -- now that we are pushing 80 we take a taxi to and from -- and use the metro while in Paris.