Please sign in to post.

Paris transport

We plan on using the metro to get around from gare de east and montparnese (changing hotels after Viking )
So I understand that iPhone Apple pay does not work like it does on the London tube system….correct?

So you buy a book of tickets (physical) or a pass (physical) that is loaded with money or a iPhone app of some type that you load with tickets or cash.
What is the recommended way to go?

And anything I should purchase now on the web before our plane leaves for Europe next Monday?
Thanks

Posted by
852 posts

parisbytrain.com is a great resource, but to answer:

So I understand that iPhone Apple pay does not work like it does on the London tube system….correct? it doesn't work even on Android or google pay; you must have a card somewhere.

So you buy a book of tickets (physical) or a pass (physical) that is loaded with money or a iPhone app of some type that you load with tickets or cash.
What is the recommended way to go? We can't tell you, it depends on when you'll be there, how much you think you'll use the metro/bus, where you're going, etc; I arrive Sunday or Monday and buy the week long Navigo Decouvert for the flexibility. You can also buy the Carnet although they're phasing out the physical paper tickets

And anything I should purchase now on the web before our plane leaves for Europe next Monday? No, but if you think you'll get an ND pass it does require a photo.

Posted by
7020 posts

The weekly Navigo pass runs Monday to Sunday.
It is impossible to buy it on a Friday. A Navigo Easy loaded with tickets is probably easier for you, no picture needed. Or easier still but a hair more expensive, paper tickets can still be bought.

Posted by
581 posts

Wayne, take a look at the Paris By Train website as mentioned. It explains all the steps and options plus includes photos for each step. Yes, the machines in Metro stations have an English option.

Posted by
20363 posts

Yes, the ticket machines have English language instructions. Just click on the British flag icon, then everything will be in English. You can buy a Navigo Easy and load 10 single tickets at a discount. Be aware, that going to Versailles (on your other thread) takes separate tickets, which you can also buy in a ticket machine. Remember, riding an RER train requires to scan your ticket to exit the station at your destination. This insures you paid the right fare.

Posted by
40 posts

Do you go through separate ticket readers for Metro and RER service (to Versailles on RER line C)
You can’t just purchase one ticket from montparnese to Versailes?

Posted by
20363 posts

Yes, you will go through a card reader, but those smart computers know you are going to Versailles and you need to enter the RER station in order get there and you have a valid ticket, so they will let you in with the same ticket you entered the Metro with at Montparnasse. Then you scan again to exit the station in Versailles, because that smart computer says "Hmm, this person bought the correct ticket at Montparnasse, so I guess we should open the gate and let him out, because this is Versailles."

Posted by
40 posts

Thanks…..so I use my Navigo easy card for metro to RER C station . No new reader. Just get on the C train. Then use a card bought for RER C to exit the station at Versailles since the Navigo easy card does not work to get to Versailles…….right?

Posted by
20363 posts

You have to have the ticket loaded on your Navigo Easy, and honestly, I don't know how that works. A regular Metro ticket costs 2.10 EUR and if you buy 10 at a time and load them on a Navigo Easy, you get a discount. But the fare to Versailles is a point to point fare, since the destination is outside of Paris proper, and costs 4.05 EUR. So instead of using the Navigo Easy for this journey, you should buy point-to-point tickets.

If you tried to use the Navigo Easy loaded with t+ Metro tickets, you could get on the Metro at Montparnasse, and get on the RER at Invalides, but when you got to Versailles, your Navigo Easy would not open the gate and you'd be stuck. Someone would come over and let you out and assess a fine for riding on an invalid ticket.

https://www.ratp.fr/en/titres-et-tarifs/ile-de-france-idf-point-point-tickets

Posted by
7020 posts

Thanks…..so I use my Navigo easy card for metro to RER C station . No new reader. Just get on the C train. Then use a card bought for RER C to exit the station at Versailles since the Navigo easy card does not work to get to Versailles…….right?

Actually, no.
For Versailles you buy a paper ticket to Versailles Château Rive Gauche station. It includes the metro fare from any metro station in Paris. So you would NOT use your Navigo Easy for that trip.
And you should buy 2 Versailles tickets/person in Paris to cover your return journey, as the ticket line at Versailles Château Rive Gauche station can be long.

Posted by
280 posts

I'll be in Paris in mid-October with another couple, The Paris by Train site mentioned was very helpful in figuring out what passes might be appropriate for us. We like to walk, but there are at least six things we'll be doing that probably aren't within a reasonable walk from our hotel on the Isle St-Louis, so it seems like the Navigo Easy pass might work for us. But with four of is, I also wonder if it might be easier to just take a taxi?

Posted by
40 posts

As far as I can see the easy pass does not require a physical picture to get while the week pass does…….

Posted by
20363 posts

Correct. The Navigo Easy is just an unregistered card to load t+ tickets on, as they are apparently going to phase out paper tickets for simple metro rides. The Navigo Decouverte is a registered card in your name with photo ID to load weekly and monthly passes.

Posted by
40 posts

Would you recommend Metro, bus #61, or a taxi going from Paris Gare montparnese to Gare du Nord to catch Eurostar?
Two of us with 3 carry on size suitcases and a backpack apiece.

A little paranoid due to being pickpocketeted on trip to Amboise earlier this week.
Thanks

Posted by
3 posts

We were in Paris in September, and found it helpful to confirm metro lines were running as expected. Some lines we were expecting to use were unavailable during our trip. We used CityPlanner for real time updates. We made the mistake of buying the single / paper tickets, which were often rejected at the turnstiles as invalid.

Posted by
8191 posts

Any time a ticket is rejected, you take it to the information window and it will be replaced (assuming you didn't try to use an already used ticket. They can read it and tell when you put it in the machine. We have had to do this with the NE on this trip -- they read the NE, saw we had validated it and handed us a paper ticket and told us to use a different turnstile.

If you use the Easy to get to Montparnasse and then a separate RER ticket, you will be wasting one trip on the Easy -- the ticket Paris/Versailles Rive Gauche takes you from any metro in Paris to Versailles with the transfer at Montparnasse included.

Posted by
2764 posts

Wayne, I would suggest a taxi. "Two of us with three carry-on, suitcases and two backpacks" that’s too much luggage to deal with in the metro with lots of stairs, etc.

I use the metro, but I can get everything into one suitcase and my Crossbody bag. I see people all the time struggling through the metro with too much luggage and honestly, you’re probably over the limit that’s easily handled on the metro.

Posted by
170 posts

Using the métro as Paris transport - I see that Wayne, the original poster, asked his last question in early October, but these more recent posts could be helpful for other Paris travelers to manage métro transportation in the city.
In late September I used a Navigo Easy card/pass loaded with a carnet of 10 trips. (cheaper than purchasing single trips) I also used it on the RER, which is allowed within the central zones of the city at no extra cost.
There were schedules clearly posted in the stations and métro cars of upcoming line closures throughout September and October. Periodic line closures allow for needed work to be completed. We knew to plan in advance to use alternate, available lines and connections. For us it was necessary only once, on a beautiful, warm, sunny Sunday, to walk about 5 extra blocks to use an alternate line.
At one station my navigo pass would not open the pass gate. At some gates you must push it, or a turnstile, to pass through. The ticket window was nearby. The agent said that the gate I had tried to pass was not working. She took my pass to "re-load" one trip and then told me specifically which gate to pass through. It worked. Fortunately I was at a station with a sympathetic agent available and willing to help me.
I would not recommend attempting to use the métro with more than one small roll-aboard per person. Some stations have a lot of stairs. Depending on the day of the week and time of day, the cars may be packed full, leaving some to wait on the platform for the next train.
I used my iPhone with Apple contactless Master Card to purchase the Navigo Easy. However, an iPhone cannot be loaded with trips and used to enter the métro system. You can re-load more trips to your Navigo Easy at a self-service machine using an iPhone contactless Apple Card.
I read recently that there was a day when all contactless payments in Paris were not working... museums, stores, cafés, and ticket booths. Always advisable to have a back-up physical credit card.