Please sign in to post.

Paris to Versailles

Probably a dumb question but, what station / train do I take from Paris to Versailles?

Posted by
6552 posts

A smart question, because if you don't ask you'll never get to Versailles! ;-)

Take the RER "C" train, which stops at various stations along the left (south) bank of the Seine in central Paris. Here's some basic info on the RER system, which connects with the Metro at many stations. Be sure to take the "C5" train, marked "VICK," which is heading to "Versailles Rive Gauche." This station is a few well-marked blocks from the Chateau on foot. The other Versailles station, "Chantiers," is considerably farther. I don't recall how long the train ride takes, maybe half an hour?

Posted by
4535 posts

And be sure to have a ticket valid all the way to Versailles. A regular Metro ticket or pass for central Paris is not valid all the way to Versailles. The trip is 30-40 minutes depending on where you depart from in Paris.

Posted by
811 posts

also make sure you have the coins to by ticket! if your credit card doesn't have the SIM card you may not be able to use the ticket machine.

Posted by
8293 posts

David, kindly explain about credit cards and SIMs. I am at a total loss. Or are you just having us on?

Posted by
20238 posts

Well, it looks like a SIM card. Chip would be a better word.

Posted by
23 posts

We did a Fat Tire bicycle tour. You meet at their office, they will give you the tickets you need to get there and back and your guide is with you - and you can have the guides help to get back also, if you are ready to leave Versailles after a couple of hours the actual palace. The bicycle part of the tour takes you all around the grounds, around the lake, with a stop at Marie Antonette's little palace and village, then you have your opportunity to do the palace at your own pace.

Posted by
1540 posts

We bought our tickets online several weeks before our trip - got good prices.
We did the same thing for tickets up to Normandy.