Please sign in to post.

Paris to Versailles

Hello! I am traveling this summer with several friends, and we are planning to stay two nights in Paris. We would like to do a day at the Chateau de Versailles. Does anyone have any affordable suggestions for getting from Paris to Versailles? Are there any trains or other public transport we could use? We are traveling to Paris from London and will not have a vehicle. Thank you!

Posted by
3655 posts

Well, it seems like you have not read any guide books about Paris and you might want to do that even for a two-day trip (or at least look at some online guides). In the meantime, you can find step by step instructions for how to take mass transit from Paris to Versailles at http://parisbytrain.com/paris-to-chateau-versailles-by-train/

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you, we have just decided to take this trip so we haven't had a chance to pick up any guidebooks yet. I have a friend who lives in England, so we have most of the logistics taken care of, except for getting from Paris to Versailles. That info should help!

Posted by
19631 posts

Trains going to Versailles Chateau Rive Gauche are marked "VICK" on the front and go about every 15 minutes from the stations in Paris. Look at this map and you will see the RER C line running along the south bank of the Seine River and you can pick up the train at any of the stations shown and also see the Metro stations that connect to them. Look on map reference block I-2 to see the end point at Versailles Chateau.
http://www.ratp.fr/informer/pdf/orienter/f_plan.php?loc=reseaux&nompdf=rer&fm=gif

Fare is 3.55 EU each way. Hold on to your ticket because you need it to exit the station at Versailles.

Posted by
32171 posts

I'd also suggest picking up a guidebook for your short visit to Paris and Versailles, and this one would be a good choice - https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/pocket-paris

It's a very easy trip from Paris to Versailles via the RER "C". Depending on where your hotel is, you may have to use the Metro to reach one of the RER stations. This article provides information on that trip - http://parisbytrain.com/paris-to-chateau-de-versailles-walkthrough/

When you exit the station in Versailles, walk down the stairs and turn right for half a block or so. Then turn left and you should see the Chateau. As you're only going to be in Paris for two nights (which basically only provides one full day for touring), I doubt that a Paris Museum Pass would be worthwhile. That also won't allow much time to see anything in Paris (and there's a lot to see!).

One tip though - try to avoid visiting Versailles on a Tuesday or weekends, as the crowds will be worse on those days.

Posted by
7209 posts

Only two nights in Paris - that's barely enough time to see just the bare minimum of Paris' iconic sights. From Paris->Versailles will easily take a half day if not more.

Posted by
7977 posts

Unless Versailles is the number one thing you want to see it is not IMHO a good use of time to take basically a day of a two day trip to do this.

Posted by
1540 posts

We took the RER train to Versailles and it was very easy.

Got off the train and walked a couple blocks to the entrance to the Palace. Of course had to wait in line to go through their security.
They had a nice free audio tour for inside and then we took the tram through the gardens.
Lovely visit.
Then walked back to the train station, grabbed a quick lunch and did some "shopping'" (of course)
Then hopped the train back into Paris. Very easy trip and I enjoyed seeing Versailles , especially the gardens.

Posted by
2091 posts

Hi tvi, agree with the others that there is a lot to see in Paris and you could easily devote two days, two weeks, or two months to see everything the city has to offer.

In any case, if you want to visit Versailles, there are trains that drop you off about a half mile from the chateau. Get there early! We took the first train from Paris and arrived 90 minutes before the opening time. We had coffee at McDonalds (there's also a Starbucks) and got in line. There were already 20 people ahead of us. Once the gates opened, we went directly to the Hall of Mirrors (we have photos without any other tourists). We toured the rest of the chateau then went out to explore the gardens and Marie Antoinette's Hamlet (very nice). Plan to spend about eight hours (including time to get there and back) for your visit.

Posted by
4138 posts

Like others have said, 2 nights = 1 day of sightseeing. If seeing Versailles is your #1 thing, I wouldn't even stay in Paris. I'd stay in Versailles so as to be sure to get to the palace early. With "several friends" keep in mind that the group will travel at the pace of the slowest person in it. At least if you are in Versailles, some of you can get there early and the laggards can catch up later, maybe meeting up with each other for lunch.

My only caveat about that is that you may not want to go at all if it is raining. In the 1st week of June of 2012, we went early on a "good" day to go. By the time we got there, it was starting to rain and the security line was snaking around the entry courtyard. It took 45 minutes to get through security.

The area is paved with large, round slippery stones. You must have the right kind of shoes for them. My Danskos weren't the right kind and at the end of our visit, I minced my way out, hoping I wouldn't slip and fall.

It poured rain off and on all day. The paths were mud wallows. There were no flowers blooming in the gardens. In fact it looked like they hadn't even been planted yet.

It is a loooong walk from the palace to anything else on the grounds. It made me understand why they needed to have horses and/or carriages to get from one place to another. There are golf carts to rent and a little open train you can take from place to place.

There is a nice restaurant on the grounds, but somehow I saw nothing on the website that said reservations were needed or that it closed at 14:00. They were and it did.

So if the weather is good, it could be a wonderful day. If not, it could be a miserable one. The possibility of it being rainy would be a reason to stay in Paris and skip Versailles completely. Hopefully, you will be going later in the summer than we did and that the likelihood of good weather will be greater. Based on our experience, it'll probably be crowded whenever you go.

Posted by
4535 posts

One caveat about taking the RER C to Versailles. You must have a ticket to Versailles. A regular Metro ticket doesn't suffice, even though you can transfer directly between them. Regular Metro tickets are only valid in the city center and Versailles is a 40 minute ride outside of the city.

I also recommend going very early so you are in line when the doors open. Tour the chateau and then have any remaining time you wish to tour the gardens. If the weather is bad, you can make the garden visit brief or skip altogether, but for many the gardens are the highlight. There are trams that take you out to the far flung sites, like the Trianons and Hamlet, but be prepared for lots of walking. The gardens are free except on days when the fountains are operating; expect large crowds on those days.

Posted by
9403 posts

Don't know when you're going but you might consider renting bikes in the garden by the Grand Canal. It's a very fun, affordable and easy way to get everywhere, including off the beaten path.

Posted by
1357 posts

We took the train and it's easy. The hardest part of the trip was finding all our group members (7 family and friends) after walking thorough the palace. Make sure you get everyone together in the courtyard before going around back to the gardens. Enjoy!