Please sign in to post.

Paris to Swiss Alps

Help! We are a family of 6 with 2 kids (ages 8 and 9) traveling to Paris at the end of June. We have a 2-3 days that we'd like to spend in the Swiss Alps, thinking staying in Wengen or Murren to explore Jungfrau?
(1) What is the most efficient way to get from Paris to Jungfrau - I've never been to either and not sure where the bullet train can get us? (2) Is there one place more preferable to to stay so it's easy to explore Jungfrau - a hotel or airBnB - likely with a group of 6 we will need 2 hotel rooms or an airBnB?

Posted by
3891 posts

I have not checked to see if you posted twice in the French forum and the Swiss forum but, if you have not, you may want to pose question 2 in the Swiss forum.

Posted by
200 posts

There are no "bullet trains" in Europe, that's a specific brand name in Japan. TGV fast trains run from Paris to Geneva, Basel and Lausanne. Basel is the easiest place to connect for Interlaken, which is the main entry point to the Bernese Oberland.

Posted by
14 posts

If you're open to it I'd suggest visiting the French Alps instead. Much more cost effective and just as beautiful. You could stay in the Chamonix area. Lots of hiking, activities, and sightseeing. The kids would love the alpine coasters and Parc Merlet (animal park high in the mountains).

You can take the TGV from Paris to Geneva and then rent a car or take a bus to Chamonix (only about an hour drive).
Also, you could take the TGV to Lyon Airport and rent a car from the airport and drive from there (about 2 hrs).

Posted by
333 posts

We made this trip a few years ago but the travel is still the same. check out Rome2Rio.com to help with planning. We took a fast train to Basel and then another to Lauterbrunnen. We stayed in Gimmelwald but I would also stay in Murren. We stayed at Ester's guesthouse which had gorgeous views of the 3 big glaciers just from the windows! I see she does have large apartment-style rooms. Of course you may find the most options down in the Lauterbrunnen valley.
https://www.esthersguesthouse.ch/en/

One other thought, the trip to Jungfrau is very expensive; we opted not to do it and we only had to buy 2 tickets! 6 would be a heart attack. We also went in June and the weather was fabulous. Just glorious sunshine with heavenly peaks almost within reach. You could also just enjoy the area by taking the gondola over to Wengen, hiking a bit and riding the short train. We picnicked with supplies from the COOP, it was amazing. Another day we hiked around Murren and got lucky to see the cows marching through town with their giant bells. Some people also see the waterfall in the valley.

Posted by
2402 posts

Going to the French Alps it is not necessary to go via Geneva. Just book eg. Paris - Chamonix on the SNCF site. If going to Switzerland use www.sbb.ch for planning.

Rome2Rio is an Australian website that has heard that there is this thing called "trains" in Europe, but doesn't know a lot about them :-)

Posted by
33509 posts

is it 4 adults with 2 children or 6 adults and 2 children?

If it is specifically the Jungfraujoch you are most interested in? If so, the Wengen side is most convenient to the train which goes up - above Lauterbrunnen and across the valley from Mürren; or if you were below the Eiger in Grindelwald you could take the new gondola up most of the way to the summit of Jungfraujoch...

Or are you using Jungfrau as a sort of shorthand of the Berner Oberland, valleys and mountains?

Posted by
18 posts

I booked the paris to interlaken train tix on the sbb app. I had already purchased a half fare card and had added in my 14 yr old daughter. This gave us some discount on the leg once swiss starts. It still was close to 265$ for both of us.

Hope this helps.