Please sign in to post.

Paris to Sarlat

We would like to travel from Paris to Sarlat by taking a train and then renting a car near Sarlat. Please, any suggestions for the best route? We will also have 9 and 7 year old children traveling with us.

Posted by
4684 posts

The rail route via Bordeaux is the only one. For information on how to book French trains, see here

Note that there are currently rail strikes in France, see here for a list of dates affected.

Posted by
1819 posts

We are doing this trip this fall, but travelling Sarlat to Paris. You have a couple of other options besides Bordeaux. There is a train from Gare d'Austerlitz which goes to Brive -la-Gaillarde and continues on to Souillac. You can rent from several different car companies in Brive and drive to Sarlat. Or you can continue on the train to Souillac and take a taxi (18 miles) to Sarlat. Sarlat has only one car rental company - Europe Car.

When I asked our Sarlat B and B owner for recommendations, she strongly advised using the option I listed above as much easier than going through Bordeaux.

Posted by
2916 posts

The advantage to taking the train to Bordeaux is that with the new high speed TGV line, it's only a 2 hour trip. And all the major car rental companies have offices at the Bordeaux station.

Posted by
12172 posts

Depending on how much time you have, you may want to rent the car in Bordeaux and work your way down to Sarlat. I'm doing similar starting next week. I'll start in Paris, fly to Toulouse, rent a car and work my way back up to Bordeaux, then train back to Paris for a few nights before heading home.