Please sign in to post.

Paris to Normandy

I have to be in Paris for work and am considering a trip to Normandy afterward. I don't want to go alone so am looking for a tour. Should I do a one day tour or something more? Should I consider getting myself to Normandy and picking up a tour there? Any advice is welcome.

Posted by
750 posts

Keeping in mind that Normandy is a region; I would highly suggest that if you have the time give yourself a night or two and spend the night in the quaint wonderful walkable city of Bayeux. Most of the WW2 tours operate out of Bayeux; and the sites are spread throughout the region but Bayeux is the closest town. Also, see The Tapestry in town and the Cathedrale Notre-Dame and the many shops and restaurants and it's just so charming a place. And you would feel completely safe there as a solo traveler.
You could take the train to Bayeux and take a taxi into town. (I'd research or ask your accommodations how to arrange a taxi back to the train station.) If you have time and interest you can also take the train to Caen and pick up a rental car if you want more freedom to explore or even train to Rennes then visit Mont St Michel and then drive to Bayeux. Lots of options depending on time and interest.

There are lots of tour operators. We used Overlord Tours in April which came recommended from this forum. There are plenty of others. The website has lots of full and half day tour options out of Bayeux.

What I would not do is take a tour out of Paris. Enjoy!

PS. You can also do a search on this forum There have been many, many chats about Normandy, Bayeux, WW2 sites/tours, which will give you many suggestions.

Posted by
2 posts

THANKS KD.
Very helpful information. Exactly I wanted to know! Much appreciated.

Posted by
27613 posts

Because the D-Day sites are scattered and are not in Bayeux itself, I urge you to take at least a one-day tour. Far too much time on a half-day tour is spent just driving out of Bayeux and back, then from one site to the next.

There is a good invasion museum in Bayeux. It is modern, English-accessible and of a reasonable size. (The museum in Caen is a full-day affair.)