Please sign in to post.

Paris to Normandy

Only one day to ourselves while in Paris. We want to go to Normandy, but all tours I find online leave Paris at or before 7:00 am. Our flight doesn’t get into Paris till 6:00 am so would be pushing it to book those. How hard to go to Normandy area by train and once we arrive how would we get around? Would love to go to Omaha beach as well! Any suggestions? I found one independent tour, but close to $1000 for the two of us 🤦‍♀️ Can a car be rented? Big expense/liability?

Posted by
3698 posts

I do not suggest driving from either CDG or Orly to Normandy on the day that you land after a long-haul flight. But, of course, you can rent a car and drive to Normandy (maybe drive for an hour or so and stop for the night) or take the train to someplace like Caen and rent a car there. You can check prices for car rentals online using Autoeurope.com. You can check train schedules and prices at sncf.com/en and then make the decision as to how to proceed. For example, you could take the train to Bayeux and then take tours from there. You could take a train to Caen and rent a car there and then drive around to the places you wish to see. There are lots of options -- so many that I think we need more information about what specifically you want to see and how long you have to see these places. What liability are you concerned about for rental car? Insurance is available to protect you.

From your phrasing, I am not sure if you know so I will mention that Omaha beach is in Normandy. Normandy is a large area with many train stations and rental car locations and more information from you will lead to more specific suggestions.

Is that $1,000 for two for a one-day tour? If so, the price is indeed ridiculous.

Posted by
27121 posts

If your flight is due to land at 6 AM I think you have zero chance of getting to Paris in time for a 7 AM tour departure--probably even if you can arrange helicopter transport. Even if you could magically get there in time, you might well sleep through the entire tour.

Do not under any circumstances pay for an expensive private tour on your arrival day.

Posted by
16893 posts

If you have to return to Paris the same evening, then I would simply forget this idea. Rick's not a big fan of trying to see the area as a day-trip from Paris to start with, preferring at least two nights in Normandy. And a day-trip only works if you get that early start.

Every week there's a thread in this forum from someone trying to get their head around the easiest or fastest way from CDG to Normandy. It's not direct by public transport, so the simplest is taxi from the airport to Paris Gare St. Lazare and train from there to Caen or Bayeux (sometimes with a connection at Caen). Many people are not well-rested and safe to drive in a new country after getting off a long-haul flight. Or are you flying on a short hop from Germany and already acclimated to the time zone?

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks to all! Looks like that’s out for this trip! I appreciate your expertise!!! I love this forum site!