Please sign in to post.

Paris to Lyon

We are arriving early into Paris from O’Hare (9:20 a.m.) and toying with the idea of going directly to Lyon instead of stopping off in Paris for a day then going onto Lyon. We have been to Paris before, and do plan to spend two nights there at the end of the trip. Is that a bit too much to do with jet lag? I never sleep on a flight.

Other option is to fly from CDG to Lyon. Has anyone done this?

Posted by
183 posts

We have done Atlanta to CDG to Lyon on the same ticket Delta/Air France. That is the only way I would do it so if your 1st flight is delayed the airline is responsible for getting you there. There is a tram you can take into town from the Lyon airport but we had a private shuttle as we were on a Viking cruise. By flying it saves you transferring from CDG to Train station in Paris.

Posted by
501 posts

Oh! Thank you so much. We are traveling with United (Covid ticket), but I’ll definitely look into that. I was wondering if the train ride would be too long. What was the highlight for you in Lyon?

Posted by
8060 posts

to us in our short stay the highlight for Lyon was the Traboules. I'd get a guide to have more access.

Posted by
6399 posts

Is that a bit too much to do with jet lag? I never sleep on a flight.

In my opinion no, it is 2 hours by train to Lyon.

Other option is to fly from CDG to Lyon. Has anyone done this?

Many people have, but it will take longer and cost more than travelling by train.

By flying it saves you transferring from CDG to Train station in
Paris.

No, that is not true. There are direct trains from Charles de Gaulle airport to Lyon.

Posted by
501 posts

Badger, thanks for that tip. We booked it this morning.

Thanks everyone for the help. Much appreciated.

Posted by
138 posts

Lyon has a wonderful Resistance Museum. For us, the city was an unexpected surprise - we had no idea how much we would love it! And must see the hidden passageways - the traboules - as recommended previously. We will be there in May, and plan to do a food tour that will include those. Glad you are getting there.

Posted by
6 posts

My family has used this method a couple of times now and we like it. This fall we'll be doing exactly what you describe, taking the TGV from CDG to Lyon Part Dieu station without ever leaving the airport. We can rest a little on the train and avoid trips into and back out of the center of Paris. We will come back for several days in Paris at the end of the trip. As I've seen mentioned here several times before, be sure to allow plenty of time before the train departs, since flights could always be delayed.

Posted by
18 posts

We did this on our first trip. We purchased TVG tickets from CDG to Lyon, and gave ourselves a 4 hour span at CDG before we left. Yes, we were jet lagged, but it was fun. Make sure to grab a cab (we did the Metro, which was a bit confusing). It was nice to have a quieter city to adjust in. Fav restaurant: Bistrot des Voraces.