Please sign in to post.

Paris to Luxembourg

I am heading to France in March for a week. I noticed Luxembourg is 2 hour train ride away from Paris. Has anyone done this to visit for a day or two? I'm interested to know if it's worth it or should I consider other spots in France?

Thanks!

• Matt
Posted by
9 posts

Luxembourg and Metz are both great day trips from Paris. You could also do one day in Luxembourg and one day in Metz. It's so easy and quick on the TGV. Go!

Posted by
20023 posts

But rather expensive if it is a spur-of-the-moment trip. To get a decent price, you'd have to buy several months in advance with nonrefundable tickets.

Posted by
8340 posts

Luxembourg City is quite an interesting spot. It is very walkable. I found the nearby American Cemetary quite moving in a surprising way.

Posted by
5687 posts

I took the train from Paris to Luxembourg City, spent a night there, and moved on to Belgium. I made the most of my time there. I took buses and trains for the afternoon to the towns of Diekirch and Vianden. Diekirch is a nice town with a (dated but fun) museum devoted mostly to the Battle of the Bulge from World War II, which place partly in this area. Vianden on the other hand is a charming little town with a castle. It's quite easy to get to these towns by bus and train. In fact, you can buy a day pass on the public transit system for the whole country for only 4 euros (yes, it's a small country - but still a bargain).

I thought the Luxembourg countryside was beautiful, with lovely rolling hills and cute towns. Vianden might have been nicer had it not been raining while I was there. But although Luxembourg City is interesting and certainly a nice town, I didn't exactly fall in love with it. Not sure why, but it wasn't a place I remember that fondly or ever plan to visit again. The American cemetery in nearby Hamm is really worth seeing (especially for Americans) - many of the fallen from the Battle of the Bulge are buried there. You can get to the cemetery by bus and then some walking. General George S. Patton, who died shortly after the war but was a key figure in the battle, is buried here too, with an oversized memorial that fits his oversized personality.