Please sign in to post.

Paris to Lourdes?

My daughter and I are planning a 10 day trip (not including travel time) to Paris next summer and would like to go to Lourdes. It doesn't seem like there are any easy routes between the two and I don't want to eat up half of our time visiting Lourdes. This will be my first visit to Paris and my daughter's second visit. Is this a viable option or should I let it go?

Posted by
3119 posts

You're right that Lourdes is a fairly out-of-the-way destination, but with 10 days you could definitely fit it in if it's important to you. According to Rome2Rio, you can go by train out of the Gare Montparnasse via Bordeaux and be there in about half a day. If I were doing this, I'd stay overnight at least one night in either Bordeaux or Lourdes itself -- preferably both!

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Paris/Lourdes

Posted by
915 posts

There’s a non-stop TGV from Montparnasse. Check the schedules but a quick lookup -it leaves at 9:47 and arrives at 14:47. You go thru Bordeaux, Dax, etc but do not have to get off train and transfer on that particular run.
I did it several years ago. It’s a chunk of a day to get there, but the Pyrenees are beautiful. I highly recommend the Chateau Fort if you go.

Posted by
16893 posts

And of course, as the Rome2rio results reflect, you can also fly nonstop, primarily on Air France/Hop!.

Posted by
3119 posts

I rather like Laura's suggestion! How about flying to Lourdes and working your way back by train? Best of both worlds!

Posted by
148 posts

OP,
I took my mom to Lourdes last month. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Posted by
6734 posts

user "OLIVIER" and post above reported to webmaster

Posted by
6386 posts

We had a car when we went since it is out of the way, and we came up from Spain. It is a distance from Paris, and to me, Lourdes is only worth a couple hours visit. If it’s a must see, then by all means, go. However, I’d weigh the time and effort it will take to get there and back against the amount of time you’ll have to visit it. Optimally, you’d have places to visit en route to break up the commute.

Posted by
26840 posts

Everything I've read suggests that the town of Lourdes is worthwhile only for religious pilgrims. It is said to be full of tacky souvenir shops and the like. I have been to some lovely places that are pilgrimage destinations (Santiago de Compostela and Assisi); they were lovely and I'd happily return to them despite being a totally-non-religious tourist (and not raised as a Catholic). I've never been tempted to go to Lourdes, but I've been fairly near it and I do agree that the scenery in that part of France is very nice.