Please sign in to post.

Paris to London by train?

We will be traveling to Paris in May, then to London to Cruise out of SouthHampton. What is the best way to get from Paris to London?

Posted by
597 posts

The Eurostar train. Paris to London in 2:15 hours. Can't beat that. Arrive early to the station because you have to clear 2 (I think) passport checks.

Posted by
11322 posts

The Eurostar is wonderful. Downtown Paris to downtown London and easy access to public trans on both ends. Buy your tickets as early as possible for the best pricing. Tickets are sold up to 6 months in advance and get more expensive as the date approaches. You do want to arrive at least an hour in advance of the train’s scheduled departure, so don’t schedule a train at 6 am without thinking what that may mean to your body. As mentioned above you do go through passport control to leave France and enter the U.K., so when you arrive in London, you walk off the train without any delay, into St. Pancras station. Hope you have a few days to enjoy London before your cruise!

Editing to add there is a one hour time change going to London from Paris.

Posted by
1825 posts

I have taken the Eurostar twice from Paris to London. I just love it. In fact, this fall I have convinced my sister and her husband to do it with me. Trains are lovely, it is so fast and comfortable, going under the Channel is low key excitement and you can't beat a direct mid-city to mid-city connection. As others said, be sure to book as soon as tickets are available.

Posted by
5264 posts

It's probably an autocorrect but in case it isn't it's Southampton, all one word. South Hampton is in New Hampshire and is probably nicer but it's not where you'll want to be going.

Posted by
13946 posts

Agree with the others and encourage you to go ahead and purchase your ticketssoon directly from www.eurostar.com They are already on sale for May so you may have missed the cheapest seats. They are like airline fares in that the cheapest go the fastest and then they are gone.

If you are going to catch a cruise, I'd at least get to London the night before the cruise starts to give yourselves some flex time in case of delays or strikes.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks to all for the valuable information. I booked our tickets on Euro Star, so easy to do. You have made my life easier.

Posted by
13946 posts

Excellent! Plan to get to Gare du Nord about an hour before departure. You'll have to fill out an Immigration card for the UK officials before you enter the border control area (have a pen or pencil and have your hotel address in London or wherever available). You'll go thru French exit immigration, UK entrance immigration and airport type security (altho you can take liquids thru) before you get to the departure area for the train. There are a number of carryout counters where you can get food and drinks either to eat there or take on board.

When you arrive in London you'll just walk off the train into the station as you've already been processed for admission to UK.