Please sign in to post.

PARIS to Chartres

I am having the worst time figuring out a train from Paris to Chartres. There are none. How is that possible? How does anyone get there, any advice? I have Googled the snot out of it and get nothing. Been on every Train ticket company and still nothing. Will I end up needing to rent a car? I am doing the South of France tour and we are supposed start in Chartres.

Posted by
2448 posts

The SNCF website says something about a service interruption due to a collapse.

Posted by
755 posts

We did this tour before Covid, it’s really a lovely tour. We took a bus from the airport to the Gare de Lyon then the train to Chartres. There was no need to buy tickets ahead of time. The train station was a block from the hotel, so if they’re using the same hotel it was easy peasy. We went two days early and used one day to take the train back to Versailles. I’m sure you’ll have a great time!

Posted by
6509 posts

Trains run about once an hour from Gare Montparnasse to Chartres. The trip takes about 60-90 minutes. You don't need an advance ticket or reservation, just buy it at the station. Here's the schedule for a random morning later this month.

Posted by
700 posts

Dick is correct. Trains depart from Gare Montparnasse-frequently. We just did this about 3 weeks ago by ourselves. We caught the last Friday to walk the labyrinth, but the church is beautiful-stained glass superb with a wonderful history. The town itself is charming.

Posted by
2320 posts

What date do you need to travel? Have you tried the SNCF Connect app?

There are buses that get there in just over 2 hours. Check out Omio.com.

Posted by
4101 posts

About 3 months before your trip you should be getting some information from RS about your hotels and getting to Chartres. Here is an excerpt from what we received in 2019. I wish I would have read it closer on the day we headed to the station because Gare Montparnasse is huge and we had difficulty finding someone who spoke english to help us find the correct ticket machine to buy our tickets and then the proper set of tracks.

Gare Montparnasse is a major train station and is currently under
reconstruction. Take your time to navigate it and you’ll do fine. Most
will enter through the station’s glassy ground floor; but those
arriving by Le-Bus Direct buses will come through a side entrance.
Most trains to Chartres depart from the top level. Find the track from
which your train departs on the black "Departures" board. Trains to
Chartres normally leave every hour from tracks 10-2. A 2nd class
ticket costs €20 and can be purchased from the ticket windows or
ticket machines. If you need assistance, the main rail information
office (accueil) is opposite track 15. Allow about 60-75 minutes for
the trip.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you everyone. I am warmed by all the help from fellow travelers. It’s the first time we are on a vacation since Covid. My husband and I were Covid ICU nurses and I need of mental and physical relaxation. We are over the moon excited about this trip. Yes, all the info helped. Thank you all deeply from my heart for the help!!

Posted by
2736 posts

You will love the south of France tour. I did it a year ago September. It is so far my favorite tour. Are you in Paris before going to Chartres? The Montparnasse to Chartres train is very easy. I bought tickets on the SNCF app. There are no reserved seats.

In Nice I recommend visiting Palais Lascaris during your free time. It has a very large collection of antique musical instruments. I prefer small museums with furniture and collections instead of most art museums.

Posted by
700 posts

If you download sncf-connect (highlighted in an earlier post) you can purchase tickets through the app. We used it many times on our recent trip to France.

Posted by
6901 posts

I indeed strongly recommend using the SNCF website or app to purchase the ticket. It will be valid for any train on the chosen date. No food or drink is sold on those trains to Chartres BTW.
The works at Montparnasse are over and the shops and eateries have been nicely upgraded. It is still a busy place, but I no longer dread it.