Please sign in to post.

Paris to Bordeaux

We fly into Paris on March 22nd. We have to be in Bordeaux mid-day on Saturday, March 24th to board our ship for a Viking Cruise, Bordeaux to Bordeaux. We have rented a car to be picked up at the airport when we land about 1:30. Two places I have wanted to visit are Giverny and Versailles. Is it possible or shall I say practical to go to those places or are there other places we should visit on our drive to Bordeaux? At the end of the river cruise, we will go to Paris for a three-day extension.

Posted by
4049 posts

If you are landing after a long flight, particularly overnight, you probably will be in danger (and dangerous) trying to drive major distances while fatigued. Anyhow, Giverny requires at least a few hours for a reasonable visit and Versailles should get most of a day. The most practical strategy is to recuperate in Paris the afternoon you land and take a SNCF train to Bordeaux on March 23, staying there overnight. A little more arduous, take the train to Bordeaux the afternoon you land if you have time after going through the French entry procedures. I understand a new wine museum or centre has opened in Bordeaux and could be worth investigating.

Posted by
10200 posts

This year Giverny opened for the season on March 24th. Do you know the opening date for 2018? You may want to see it after the boat trip, but Versaille on the 23rd as a day trip from Paris.

It's much easier to get to Bordeaux by high-speed train than driving. It's 2 hours, jam free vs 6 hours driving.

Posted by
3122 posts

I concur with the advice not to drive on the day you arrive, nor to drive to Bordeaux.

I'd say to enjoy the sights of Paris on the 22nd and get a good night's sleep, then take the high-speed train to Bordeaux on the 23rd. Even if there is an early morning train on the 24th, I would not want the stress of cutting it that close, knowing I had to board the ship at a certain time, with the (however unlikely) possibility of a train delay or some other occurrence beyond my control.

Posted by
10200 posts

Actually, they probably have a few hours to board the ship. Most people want to get on right away to have lunch on board, but the cabins aren’t even ready until three. The key to arrival is Viking’s deadline, and It’s more likely noon the absolute earliest, not the latest.

Posted by
2916 posts

You can't beat taking the TGV from Paris to Bordeaux. We've done it a couple of times in the last few years, and now it's even faster. While we took the train on the same day we arrived in France, you might want to consider spending the first night in Paris and then taking the train to Bordeaux the next morning.

Posted by
2 posts

We will have Viking's 3 day extension in Paris so we would like to see other things on our way down to Bordeaux. Would like to stay in a quaint B and B or Inn somewhere along the way. Is it feasible to drive out of Paris to spend Thursday night, go to Versaille on Friday and then head on to Bordeaux Saturday morning?

Posted by
10200 posts

Versaille is Paris, so you have to go much further to hit quaint. The closest might be Chartres, a town, or Barbizon, a ritzy village, but it’s an hour back north to Versaille from either of those two. Then it’s five hours down to Bordeaux from Chartres. You could stay in Versaille on arrival then take the train from Paris to Bordeaux. The drive can be a drag. I’ve done it stopping in Chartres, the Loire (great b & b), Limoges, etc. It’s two hours between each of these stops. Or two hours by train.

Posted by
519 posts

I would get a hotel in Paris for two nights. Recover with daylight and stroll around the Seine and Notre Dame area on the day you arrive (or if the weather is nice grab a hop on hop off bus, get a seat on the upper open air deck and see the city). We are fit (or at least think we are, 56/62) and believe a day to recover helps us enjoy the trip so much more and prevent getting worn down/sick.
On the 23rd take the train to Versaille (see RS book for explanation of transportation) and spend the day.
On the 24th take the TGV train 07:52 ➜ 09:56 2h04 to Bordeaux. Plenty of time.

We were in Giverney mid April and it was beautiful but late March might be cutting it close. Perhaps on your way home as suggested.