Please sign in to post.

Paris to Annecy

Traveling to France in August will spend a few days in Paris before heading down to Provence by train. We would love to spend 1 to 2 days in Annecy either on the way down or back. Would love suggestion on transportation to Annecy. thought on how many days and recommendations of lodging.?

A friend had suggested renting in a car when leavning Annecy and driving down to Moustiers-Sainte-Marie, spend time and then head to Lubeon and Provence. Love your thought !

Posted by
2299 posts

hey ltref323
we are heading to annecy middle of september. taking train from gare de lyon to annecy check the departure times, how many stops, length of ride. we are going direct at 12:45pm check rome2rio.com or loco2.com plus we will be bringing snacks/lunch and bottle of wine to enjoy the ride. don't forget the corkscrew haha they do have a dining car.
don't know what your dates are, how many people are traveling, your budget in euros. check lac-annecy.com or booking.com for hotels. couple people loved imperial palace, but we rented an apartment and staying 6 nights.
i've never been, posters have said to stay a couple days to walk the canal streets, a boat ride on the lake, we are taking a day trip to chambery, taxiannecygeneva.net, frenchmoments.eu (search annecy)
enjoy and have a great time. let us know how your trip was. there's not that much here about annecy but think i've found enough, this is a relaxing not in a hurry vacation) after this heading back to paris for 8 nights in another new area (14th arr).
aloha

Posted by
2916 posts

I'd leave at least 2 days fpr Annecy. We've stayed there several times, the first one being a week at an apartment. As to places to stay, besides the apartment we stayed at Hotel Alexandra, which I'd recommend. Friends have stayed at Hotel du Chateau and loved it. Here's a link to one of the posts in my travel blog covering part of our first visit there. If you're interested in more you can put "Annecy" into the search box.
http://mainelywinenews.blogspot.com/2009/04/annecy-second-half-of-week-more-flowers.html

Posted by
6887 posts

Commenting on the car suggestion: this is a good idea if you have a week (or 5 days at the very least) to go from Annecy to Lubéron via part of the Alps and Verdon, but anything less and you're better off taking another train to Avignon or Aix and renting a car there to drive around Provence.

Otherwise you could indeed drive from Annecy to Moustiers in a few hours (5 perhaps?) but it's a long-ish drive, a third of it on hilly two-lane roads that can be very busy on August weekends (D1075 and N85 look scenic, but are not fun to drive on such days!)

Posted by
54 posts

Thank you all for the suggestions. Sorry for my not responding sooner, life got in the way of pleasure planning. We are still trying to work out all the details and include everything that we wold like to see and do.

Posted by
27091 posts

Annecy can be seriously hot in the summer. Be sure your lodgings are air conditioned.

Posted by
54 posts

When you say Annecy can be seriously hot in the summer what exactly do you mean? I see you are from DC area can you compare it to home in the summer months. Would you say the Provence is cooler during this time because it is closer to the Ocean? I guess this is something I should consider if we are going to be out and active.?

Posted by
150 posts

Hi! Provence is NOT cooler. It can be quite hot as it was in late June when I visited last year. The sun is intense sun like Southern California, too, so do take your hat. Oops. I just saw you were traveling in August. I guess you are back home. Hope you had a super trip!