Please sign in to post.

Paris - Summer 2019

I will be back in Paris this July to study for a week at the Sorbonne. I've stayed at the Hotel Londres de Paris in 2016 and the Hotel Britannique in 2017 and liked each one, but am looking for something in or close to the Latin Quarter. I'd like to find one with rates under 185€ per night if possible, but I know that might be too much to expect for anything other than a rundown dive. Does anyone have any experience within the last couple of years with the Hotel des Nations Saint-Germain or the Hotel Saint-Andre des Arts? What others in the area would you recommend I consider?

Posted by
9420 posts

I recommend Hotel Diana and Hotel St Jacques.

Posted by
17 posts

I wasn't aware of either of them; Hotel Saint-Jacques looks promising, but Hotel Diana seems to be full. Thanks for the reply; I keep watching for more suggestions!

Posted by
1103 posts

We enjoyed staying at the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles. During our recent stay, we met a guest who had been coming to the hotel every year for the last 40. She said: I’ve travelled all over the world, and this is my favorite spot.

The only negative would be the lack of air conditioning.

Posted by
13937 posts

I'd say in July AC would be a must!

Posted by
7209 posts

Hotel Excelsior Latin is an ideal location and it has nice AC!

Posted by
9420 posts

I stayed at Hotel des Grandes Ecoles for 1 month and am not a fan.

Alan, try to contact Hotel Diana by email or phone. Nice rooms, great price, great location, AC. The lobby isn’t nice but the rooms are. Often it’s the other way around, sumptuous lobby, meh rooms.
Hotel Diana got it backwards... : )

I also recommend Hotel Les Dames du Pantheon and Hotel des Grand Hommes.
Same owners, next to each other, very nice but more expensive than my other 2 recommendations.

You could also try Booking.com which only allows reviews from people who’ve actually stayed in the hotel they’re reviewing.

AC is a good point Pam made. Make sure whatever hotel you pick has AC. Good chance you’ll need it in July.

Posted by
17 posts

I will try to contact Hotel Diana by email. The very first time I was in Paris, the heat wasn't that bad even though it was July. But when I was back there in 2016 and 2017, it was considerably warmer. I almost insist on A/C now if I'm visiting in the summer. I hope to decide within the next couple of days.

Posted by
2299 posts

hey alan
going in a different direction, you can check out cross-pollinate.com or alcoves&agapes.com. some are apartments, some are BnB. less than the 185E per night. don't know if a discount for 7 days, you can ask. you have room to move in some, some are private with the small necessities for cooking or bringing home take out. some have dropping off bags before checkin which is nice, read the fine print.
just giving you another option for your stay. good luck and wishing you the best.
aloha

Posted by
17 posts

Thanks for the tips! I had already checked out alcoves&agapes.com but found that most seemed to be over my budget. I'll look again, though.

Posted by
3391 posts

Hotel Jardin du Luxembourg...right in your price range. Not a dive and a short walk to most of the buildings of the Sorbonne.

Posted by
2299 posts

hey alan
click book now, when upgrade comes up put dates and nights in, a few come up
aloha

Posted by
9420 posts

Alan, another one to consider...
Hotel Henri IV Rive Gauche

Posted by
17 posts

Thanks for the suggestions! I might also check into some Bed & Breakfasts, but some of them can be out of my budget range.

Posted by
27111 posts

I wouldn't consider any place without air conditioning for a July trip. In your price range I don't think that will be a problem.

Posted by
17 posts

I hope not, but the last couple of times I've been there, it was quite hot. If it were anytime but summer, I certainly wouldn't worry about it.

Posted by
354 posts

We were looking for the same thing and booked with Hotel Familia in the Latin Quarter for $105E/night.

Posted by
17 posts

Thank you for all the advice, everyone! I have made a reservation at Hôtel Saint Jacques, in the Latin Quarter.

Posted by
64 posts

I stayed at the Hotel Qualys Apolonia on Rue Mouffetard in the Latin Quarter last April. I think it is now called Qualys Hotel Paris Mouffetard Apolonia. It is 5 minute walk to the Pantheon and the Sorbonne. Current rates are $112-$132 depending on booking site. Pedestrian street, very Lively, lots of restaurants. Clean. I found it extremely convenient.

Posted by
1307 posts

I stayed for a week last October at Hotel des Nations and it was certainly NOT a dive..
The room was very clean and fresh with a small refrigerator and the ability to make tea or coffee in the room.
It also had a very nice breakfast which I think I got for free by booking on the hotel's website and not one of the agencies like Booking.com.
The desk staff was very nice.
It's located a block from Rue Mouffetard, one of my favorite Paris streets, and about a block away from 2 different Metro lines.
I don't know if it has air conditioning... that would be important in July.
I can also recommend Hotel Diana and I think that it does have air.