Please sign in to post.

Paris scams

Yesterday evening on the bridge over the Seine at the Eiffel Tower we were approached by two young women requesting that we take their picture. I said yes, took her phone, and waited for them to get ready for the photo, which seemed weirdly long. At that moment it felt like a scam, but I could not tell what/how they were stealing. Later that evening I received a phishing email from a familiar persons name with an address that is not theirs. I unfortunately clicked on it, but have since deleted. Was I scammed? If so how does this work? Thank you

Posted by
7383 posts

From your description of the delay by the two women, it doesn’t sound like they could’ve caused the bogus e-mail you received later, as long as they didn’t get ahold of your smartphone during that time, nor that you gave them your e-mail address.

I get scam e-mails (and phone calls) all the time here at home, and I imagine the e-mail you received in Paris was just unexpected timing. Hopefully your clicking on it doesn’t result in any problems from here on, and it’s good that you know about ignoring any such messages in the future. If there was more to the two women than just wanting a picture and being slow to be ready for it to be taken, I’d be surprised, and I wonder what they would hope to get from doing so.

I wouldn’t be too worried, and I hope the rest of your time in Paris is going great!

Posted by
2403 posts

Nothing in your story sounds like a scam - although I would be careful who I passed my smartphone/camera to - dashers come in all shapes and sizes.

Personally, I'd be more concerned about using unprotected WiFi in public places including your hotel - that's where events like "phishing email from a familiar persons name with an address that is not theirs" always get their start.

Posted by
1824 posts

It is impossible that someone can know your email address just because you take a picture of this person with HIS smartphone

If you want to worry about something, it would rather be consequences of clicking on the phishing email. (but if you did not click on any link contained in this e-mail this should not be a problem)
And I would also warn this familiar person that his email address is being used by hackers

Posted by
6916 posts

You had their phone in your hands, so I guess they were the ones trusting you and not the other way around. Congratulations for looking non-threatening 😅!
It is true that it could be a very elaborate distraction tactic (think "petition girls" or "bird poop"), but I have never heard of such a thing.

Posted by
7383 posts

With Big Mike’s information, maybe the biggest concern would be if someone in Paris asked you to Lend Them A Hand …