Please sign in to post.

Paris - safety

Apologies if this answer is obvious, but I don't know Paris at all. If we are staying in the north part of the Opera district, (corner of Rue do Leige and Rue D'Amsterdam), would we be safe there and walking from there down to the Seine? Or would we be safer staying south of there? (I'm not bothered by walking distance, just concerned about safety.

Posted by
23275 posts

I think all of Paris is pretty safe. Probably safer, in general, than Chicago or New York. But you may need to define what you mean or are concerned about safety? Safety from what? - muggings, pickpockets, traffic, tourists, terrorists. The concept of safety may relate a little bit to where you are coming from. What are you specific concerns?

Posted by
2393 posts

Paris is very safe for walking. The things to remember are

Walk with purpose - know where you are going - even if you don't

If you need to check a map or want to stop and look at something - stop and move close to the building with your back against the building

In crowds keep an eye on your bags for sticky fingers

Enjoy your time in Paris!

Posted by
11507 posts

My relatives live close to there.. Rue de Copenhague.. .I consider the area very safe to walk about , even in evening.. I have done so.. from age 13 to now in my mid fifties.. so yeah.. its safe. Obviously dont get dead drunk and wander around at 3 am.. but that sort of common sense applies to anywhere one would stay , right ? Gare st Larzarre is nearby.. and in any station and crowds watch your purse or wallet.. personal safety is not a problem though.

Enjoy the walking.. I love walking Paris.. every wrong turn ( and I always seem to make alot of those even after all these years) allows you to discover new sights and treasures..

Posted by
784 posts

There is nothing wrong with that area, however, since this is your first trip to Paris, you might be happier staying closer to the river in arrondissiment 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6. Many of the major sights are easily walkable in this general area.

Posted by
2466 posts

Nothing at all wrong with this area. It's busy, especially around the département stores. Watch your belongings and you'll be all right.
Night fails between 9:45PM to around 10:15PM, so you can enjoy walking around all you like.

Posted by
65 posts

you are in a great area. My daughter (8 yrs old at the time) stayed in that area last summer and walked all over the city including in the evening. I feel much safer in Paris than I do in NYC, Chicago, LA, San Fran at night.

Posted by
3700 posts

It does not matter for the purpose of answering your question but the area that you refer to is not in the Opera district. It is in Europe Quartier. It will take you about 30 minutes to walk to the river but you will be quite safe. Most routes will be through areas that are actually very busy with traffic and people.

Posted by
20125 posts

Thanks 75020! I always wondered where this location was, but know i know it was the plaza of the intersection of Rue d'Amsterdam and Rue de Liege. A look at google streetview is very familiar.

Posted by
14518 posts

"Walk with purpose, ...know where you are going, even when you don't." Well put. There are times I don't know...a purposeless walk.

Posted by
2 posts

This is the first time I have ever been on Rick Steves, or really any, help-blog such as this, and I have to say I am blown away by everyone's help. Thank you all so much for your replies. We ended up taking everyone's advice, staying at that hotel, and it was incredible. Just the perfect place for us. All thanks to your thoughtful replies. Merci!

Posted by
12172 posts

I've walked in that area, during the day, and I'd say it's fine. I didn't see anything that would give me pause. You're closer to Moulin Rouge than the Opera. That area is supposed to have a bad reputation, but I don't think it's unsafe there either.

Posted by
9420 posts

I don't walk with a purpose in Paris, I stroll and look around at everything. I've spent years there and it's very safe.

Glad you had a good time Chuck!