Please sign in to post.

Paris Restaurants

Has anyone been to the Brasierie Bouillon Racine on the left bank near the Odeon Theater in the last year. It has been a few years since I have been there and am looking to know if it is still has good as I remember it.

I have not been to the Brasserie Vagenende also in Paris. Would like to know if anyone has been to this restaurant and if they liked it.

I will be going to Paris and am looking to know if the food is very good as both places are romantic looking and am looking for a lovely restuarant.

Thanks for your help!

Posted by
2545 posts

I know both and a recommendation would depend upon your dining objectives. Both are fine as tourist class restaurants.

Posted by
10192 posts

I’m confused as to what a tourist-class restaurant might be. Is this a new label given by the Office of Tourism, or a Michelin label? Since so many tourists go to the Jules Verne and La Tour d’Argent, are these labeled tourist-class, also? If it isn’t an official label, what is the insinuation ?

Posted by
8055 posts

The bouillons used to be working class restaurants; they are now atmospheric tourist spots although you see a fair number of locals lunching in them too. They are not fine dining, but then they don't charge fine dining prices either and usually feature classic dishes like duck confit. There are a lot of pretty bad restaurants in Paris and we have had the misfortune of stumbling into a fair number of them when we haven't done our homework. (and we are not foodies and not super particular -- just prefer freshly prepared food rather than food from industrial kitchens). Search this site and TA for recommendations; read reviews and increase the odds of a good choice. And, come on, you all know that there are lots of restaurants that make their money on tourists and serve less than fabulous food since they are not repeat customers.

Posted by
776 posts

Sometimes one goes to a restaurant for the food, other times for the interiors. The Bouillon Chartier always got a bad review for its food but I took visiting friends there for the interior that was featured in many movies of the Belle Epoch period. Friends really liked the visit. Bouillon Julien now sports one of the most gorgeous Art Nouveau interiors in Paris. Who cares about the food when one can dine in such glory?

Posted by
3695 posts

"Sometimes one goes to a restaurant for the food, other times for the interiors." I could not agree more. Sometimes you get both but usually when you have a beautiful room and are an "institution," food is secondary in the equation. Witness Le Train Bleu at Gare de Lyon and Bouillon Chartier. If you thought Bouillon Racine was good before, you will probably still think so because from what I can see it has not changed in years. I read a review once that said that bouillons serve a decent meal at a good price. I would not expect to be transported to the culinary heights at either of the places you mention but that may not be what you are seeking. Did you see this post from a few days ago: https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/france/fine-dining-on-a-budget-in-paris-mon-dieu The first place mentioned has the decor that you seem to like.

Posted by
796 posts

I was there lasr October and I loved it. I had a salad that I split with my friend, duck snd creme brûlée. The dessert was one of the best I have ever had. The duck was lovely as was the salad.

Posted by
3695 posts

June, where were you last October? It's not clear which place you are referring to in your post.

Posted by
796 posts

I was at bouillon Racine, in the 6th. The interior was very beautiful.

Posted by
5516 posts

I had dinner at Bouillon Racine in 2017. The food was fine, but not particularly memorable. I’m pretty sure that I had a classic dish like duck confit. I thought the interior was absolutely lovely.

If you had a nice meal that you enjoyed there in the past, I’d say go for it. You can book online.

Posted by
1307 posts

I was the friend with June and I loved it!
I will be in Paris again in October and looking forward to dining at Bouillon Racine again.

Posted by
796 posts

Sharyn, see you in October. I am already planning what to do. Planning Paris activities makes me happy. Ciao.