Please sign in to post.

Paris Museums

We will be in Paris 3/18 - 3/I9 and again on 4/2. I would like to go to the Orsay. Is there a way to know beforehand if a museum is crowded? I know that our 1st Paris days will be during Easter break (lots of tourists).

We are also interested in the Musée Marmottan Monet.

I am most interested in Impressionist art. If you have other recommendations for museums, I would love to know. Thanks!

Posted by
8063 posts

well your only two days for the Musee d'Orsay are Tuesdays which is generally the worst day for crowds and lines. Get timed tickets and early probably rather than later. You then join the ticket line for those with your reservation slot -- they are by half hour and the lines are to the right as you face the museum. Do not check coats; those lines are horrendous on days the museum is crowded. I often carry a net bag or nylon bag I can use to cram my coat or jacket in a hot museum without efficient coat check. (the Louvre you just go find a coat locker; the Orsay you have to stand in a line that can easily be half an hour or more long.). I would guess the 19th would be better than April 2 but that is just a guess --

The Marmottan is wonderful and in my experience not terribly crowded. The Orangerie of course has Monet's famous water lily murals.

If you don't mind spending a lot of money, you could buy Carte Blanche membership for the Orsay which allows one guest and puts you at the head of lines both for special exhibits and entry. It has its own special line. (I have done this several times as a guest of a French friend who has the card). This entry card also gives you priority at the Orangerie although it is not as dramatic as the Orsay. (you do get to enter the line from the side about 15 persons back from entry.).

Posted by
241 posts

At the Musee d' Orsay, the special exhibit Paris 1874 Inventing Impressionism begins March 26. It requires a ticket and includes the permanent exhibits. There is also a special virtual immersive exhibit which begins March 26. I can't quite figure out if the virtual immersive ticket also includes the Paris 1874 Inventing Impressionism exhibit.

Posted by
13952 posts

Unfortunately Musee Jacquemart-Andre is closed until Sept 2024 for a reno. I am adding it to my "to-do" list for October, too,lol!!

Posted by
116 posts

Hi,

Adding my two cents: Prepare for a LONG day. I was at the Van Gogh exhibit at the Orsay on or about 11/15/23 and it was not as an enjoyable experience as I wished it to be. The art work was exquisite but there were so many people it left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. We had an afternoon entry on a weekday, and it ended up being packed like a sardine can! At most times there 10-18 people or more standing in front of a painting, and you had to shuffle your feet to get around at times. We were constantly getting bumped into and saying "excuse moi" or "pardon." To get "up front" or "up close" you had, at times, to wait minutes and minutes. I get it: we all want to see it and the Museum can only accommodate so many people at once, and the museum does its best. Also, with so many people there it was very warm inside and I wished I had checked my coat.

Posted by
18 posts

Planning to get the Carte Blanch when we get there.
Which order would you do the museums Orangerie and Orsay?

Posted by
73 posts

We already bought your tickets and made our reservations for Orsay. We didnt' buy the Carte Blanche because we thought you had to apply online for the Carte Blanche and it had to be mailed to you.

Should we have just purchased at the museum? Hmmmm. Not sure how this works.

Posted by
10 posts

If you love Impressionism, don’t miss the water lilies at the Orangerie. I went at opening time one day and it was not crowded. A day trip (or better yet an overnight) to Giverny is a treat, too, both for Monet’s home and the Museum of Impressionism. It’s an easy train ride from Paris to Vernon, then a shuttle bus or walk to Giverny. However, I see the Museum of Impressionism is closed until 29 March.