Please sign in to post.

Paris museum pass children

Hello,
We plan to buy the paris museum pass for ourselves. Do we need it for children. We plan to go to the main museums only. If we have a pass and reserve a time on our pass with Louvre, do children have to wait in line or they can skip line ?
Thanks

Posted by
8055 posts

Most museums now require or encourage reservations even when you have the pass. Most museums that require reserved times have an option for a free ticket for those eligible such as children and pass holders. You do this for the Louvre where you get a reserved time for the child when you make your own reservations; at the Orsay they don't require that ticket fora child and the kid just walks in with you. You can see the options when you buy your own tickets.

Think twice about whether the Museum Pass is worth the trouble. It used to get you quick access to a separate security line and you could visit the same museum more than once -- this meant you didn't have to spend a day at the Louvre but could come two or three times for shorter periods. Since pretty much everyone has a reservation now and thus uses the special line for those with tickets and passes and the multiple entry feature has been dropped, the Museum Pass no longer has the same charm. Unless you are sure it will save you big bucks,, I'd just not bother. Kids have never needed one to go in with their parents.

If your fantasy was sailing into museums skipping lines, this is no longer realistic. Just an example; we used to always have tickets for the Orsay and there was often no line at all for the special door for pass and ticket holders. The last 3 times we went post COVID, there were huge lines for each half hour time slot at the special door. Similarly pass and ticket holders at the Louvre could use the Carousel entrance and there were short lines there. But anything available as a line management feature of the pass is also true for people who just have ticket.

Posted by
8055 posts

Not long ago I was outside the Orsay with a friend who has some sort of magic local priority pass which got us swept to the front of all the lines. Those WITH PMP and tickets had a line of at least 100 to stand in. Those without an even longer line. There was no 'sweeping in' except us because of this magic pass tourists can't get. It depends on the day and time of course. but apparently at the Orsay your pass is as good as having a ticket, so you stand in the already ticketed line -- the one that before COVID literally meant you could sweep in without waiting.

If you want to see the upcoming special exhibit, although it is included in pass or ticket, a reservation is still required if you want to see that exhibit. You can get ticket on site -- but obviously you'd rather have a timed ticked lined up and not have to wait an hour or two for an opening that day.

Posted by
37 posts

We were just in Paris and used the Paris Museum Pass. If you go onto to their website, it gives instructions for booking the sites in advance that require reservations, like the Louvre. You should at that time also book free passes for your children for the same time.

Waiting in line depends on the place. In some instances it got us in quicker, but others it did not. For the Pantheon, we were able to get right in, even though we didn't have reservations. However, we did not have reservations for the Musee de l'Orangerie, and had to wait in the "I don't have a ticket or reservation" line.

Posted by
8055 posts

It is important to note that COVID changed everything and so everyone needs current information on lines and reservations; what I experienced 4 years ago it not an infallible guide now. I was shocked at the Orsay the extent to which having a reservation still meant long lines -- in the past I used to buy my ticket at the newspaper kiosk out front and just walk in with no line at door C -- no more.