Please sign in to post.

Paris Museum Pass and Versailles

My husband and I are traveling to Paris this August and we are looking to buy the Paris Museum Pass and visiting Versailles. We already purchased the Versailles Apartments Tour ticket separately. As we understand it, on the days Versailles has their water show the gardens & grove that the Paris Museum Pass typically covers does NOT on these water show days. Does anyone know if our additional Apartments Tour ticket would allow this entrance? We're visiting on a Tuesday. Also, would we be able to access the gardens once the musical water show is finished? Any insight here would be appreciated.

Posted by
15589 posts

There is a schedule for the fountains. They operate for a couple of hours each. Access is restricted when each fountain is in operation. Most of the grounds are not included in the show.

Posted by
8063 posts

The apartments tour gets you in a separate door and is thus a way to skip the long long security line out front so wise move. The pass covers your entrance to the chateau and to the Trianon and the Hameau. None of this covers your entrance to the gardens on a fountain day; our snapshots: https://janettravels.wordpress.com/2016/02/15/fountains-of-versailles-a-little-chaos/
I think it is worth being there on a fountain day; the gardens are restricted access all day on a fountain day. It is not really a 'fountain show'; they just run the fountains for about an hour in the morning and an hour and a half in the late afternoon. You can come and go on the same ticket all day (e.g. go mid day to the Hameau and then return for the late afternoon fountains) but you cannot enter the garden without a ticket on those days. I seem to recall that it was about 8 Euro.

Posted by
15589 posts

I stand corrected. Been a long time since I was there.

Posted by
7175 posts

Been a long time since I was there too Chani, and now Janet's photos makes me want to go back.

Posted by
8063 posts

It was our first trip back in 30 years. We skipped the chateau but spent the day in the gardens and estate -- it was wonderful.

Posted by
27 posts

Brent, I am going to Versailles late Sept also buying PMP in advance and like you buying the Kings Apartments guided tour tickets online . Do you know if this guided tour also includes a tour of the main portion of the Chateau (Hall of Mirrors, etc)? Can you post your impressions including how you traveled from Chateau to other areas (Trianon, MA's Hamlet, etc) after your trip? Also interested in knowing if the guided tour did not incl the main parts of the Chateau if u felt the audio guide did an adequate job or if u felt sorry u didn't have a guided tour

Posted by
8 posts

Larry, the King's apartment private tour ends inside the palace so you can then follow the crowds throughout the "Public" parts, including the hall of mirrors, etc. As for moving about the gardens (and to grand/petite palace/MA cottage), there are several options that all cost money (golf cart/bike/train). Out of the 3, the train is the most economical as it is a set price and you can ride it all day, the golf cart and bike rentals are fixed price for a set amount of time, and then extra (our bike rental ended up costing 50 euro because we ran over in time).

Posted by
21 posts

Thank you for this post. I am going to Paris in September and, because of your post, realized that the day we have planned to go to Versailles is a fountain day. Can anyone comment on the wisdom of buying the garden tickets online vs buying them on site. The website says you can buy them at the entrance to the garden. Is this different than the main ticket line?
With regard to the guided tour of the King's Apartments, has anyone on the forum done this? How many people do they allow on the tour? I find that guided tours are only worthwhile if the number of people is relatively small. Otherwise, only the people at the front can hear what the guide is saying.

Posted by
2026 posts

Our group consisted of perhaps 20 people at most. No problems whatsoever, lots of opportunities for questions, discussion. It was our third visit in 40 years, and the first private apartment tour, and the best visit. Really, I'd have paid the price for the ease of entrance alone. We went in late August 2016 and bought our tickets- there were 3 of us- online a day or two in advance (we were watching the weather). There were no fountains going on our visit but we walked the gardens for hours. Have a good time.