Please sign in to post.

Paris Museum Pass

Has anyone had any experience using the Paris Museum Pass (PMP) as opposed to the Paris Pass? For example, we wish to utilize a 4-day PMP, starting on a Monday afternoon, the 11th, say at noon. Then use it Tuesday, the 12th; Wednesday, the 13th and Thursday, the 14th and then finishing up at Versailles Palace the morning of Friday, the 15th before noon. That would mean we used 12 hours on Monday, and 24 hours on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday meaning 84 hours would have been used up by midnight on Thursday, leaving us 12 hours left to use Friday morning at Versailles as long as we used it before noon. Some authorities (including Rick Steves guidebooks) say that is permissible. Others claim that once you activate by use on Monday, for instance, that is considered Day 1, Tuesday Day 2, Wednesday Day 3 and Thursday Day 4, using up the pass at the end of Thursday. Parenthetically, we are leaving Paris for Normandy Tuesday and Wednesday so we can't use the pass much for those days.
In addition, regardless of that question, if you get your PMP by purchasing it through the Paris Pass you are stuck with the latter interpretation because that's apparently how Paris Pass works. This is more than a theoretical exercise since there are 4 adults in our party so it runs into some money we could otherwise use to purchase foie gras or coq au vin. Anybody got any advice or experience on this dilemma I have?

Posted by
4412 posts

The real question seems to be, just how many museums are you planning to cram into your trip? You can easily find admission prices online, you should add some up and see how it compares to a pass. It might also work to use the pass as long as you can and then go a la carte. I found the prices pretty reasonable so didn't consider a pass.

Posted by
2545 posts

There were changes in the museum pass a year or so ago. The pass is now offered in 24 hour segments vs. calendar days. Access is now limited to one museum visit per pass rather than unlimited visits.

The Paris Pass is nothing other than an expensive collection of already existing passes/tickets which can otherwise be purchased at lower cost. There is only one Paris Museum Pass. You may purchase it as part of the Paris Pass or individually. My advice would be to save your money and avoid the Paris Pass.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks Phred and Tocard for your timely replies. To Phred comments: we are going with total travel novices and they will want to maximize what they see at that time of year (May) with nearly maximum daylight. In fact, we are planning on visiting 8 covered museums in 7 days in Paris.

As to Tocard: Not sure what your comment about access now being limited to one museum visit per PMP means. Everything I have read indicates the PMP can be used as many times as one wishes within the 4 day (96 hr) limit. Do you have experience to the contrary using the pass.

Posted by
3844 posts

He means one entrance per museum. Years ago you could use it to enter, say the Louvre, as many times as you wanted. We used it this past April and had no problem getting our money’s worth. We had a 6 day pass.

Posted by
4862 posts

OP, you can only visit each museum once using the PMP. Visit as many as you like, but only one time each. Does that make sense?

Posted by
13944 posts

And Yes, I’ve used it timewise as you suggest…I entered my first museum at noon on Day 1 and (had a 6-day museum pass) and my final one about 1030 on day 7. They scan the bar code each time so that’s how they keep track of the elapsed hours.

This was since the changes in the pass several years ago. The things you are reading about Day 1 is outdated.

Posted by
2745 posts

If a book is telling you it’s a daily not an hourly count, it probably means it hasn’t been updated recently.

So the way you’re calculating it is the way it currently works

Posted by
595 posts

The PMP was great for reducing the amount of time I spent waiting in lines (doesn't eliminate the security check). And after it expires if you still have a few museums you want to squeeze in, save the less-famous ones for last because they'll have shorter ticket lines.

Posted by
8059 posts

The museum pass has never meant shorter lines compared to just buying tickets on line. Before COVID pass holders and those with tickets used a different shorter security line at most museums than those waiting to buy tickets. Post COVID many museums require timed ticket reservations including for pass holders. So for example, you need to book the Louvre even with a pass and the Louvre limits the number of tickets for PMP holders. So I might be booking the Louvre for tomorrow but you with a pass might not be able to do so because the slots for passholders ran out a couple days ago for tomorrow. The Orsay I believe does not require a ticket for pass holders so you just join the correct line; it is likely to be a long line unlike the old days because everyone else will have a timed ticket.

Only buy the PMP if you have calculated that you will actual save a bunch of money doing so. And be aware that many of the museums will require you to get a ticket reservation ahead with the pass.

Posted by
437 posts

If I were going to Normandy on Tuesday and Wednesday, I would not buy the pass on Monday. On Monday, do things that the pass won't even work for - See the Eiffel Tower and go up (not covered by the pass), take a cruise on the Seine and eat the aforementioned foie gras and Coq au Vin, walk around soaking up atmosphere. On Monday and Tuesday, most museums take their "closed" day, so you would be carefully studying what is open vs. closed and it may not be possible to visit something on your list anyway. You can stay really busy without visiting things covered by the pass. Buy a two day pass on Thursday morning and you will be able to use it all day on the two full days you have in Paris.

Posted by
13944 posts

And I just wanted to add that you can easily buy the Museum Pass after you arrive. I agree about loading your day 1 with non-pass sites and then just getting it when you return to Paris after Normandy. You can still make reservations for museums that need timed entries before you have your Museum Pass in hand. Do heed Janet's info about there being limited slots available for Museum Pass users particularly at the Louvre.

The Paris Pass bundles a lot of stuff with it that is not really needed so if you decide you will need the Museum Pass just buy it there. You can buy it at a smaller museum OR you can still buy them at various Tabacs (tobacco shops) which are dotted around neighborhoods. One of the hotels I usually stay at used to also sell the 2-day passes. I haven't asked lately as I don't get the Museum Pass any more.

I would also run the numbers to see if the Museum Pass will save you money over timed entries. Besides Versailles on Friday, what other museums were you considering for Monday and Thursday?