Please sign in to post.

Paris Museum Pass

HI! Can't find this answer anywhere! With Covid, most all of the museums require an advance purchase timed entry ticket. How do you pay for the museum ticket using the Pass? The Louvre has clear instructions how to use the Pass # on the checkout page. (You do have to order the Pass and have it physically mailed to you to get the number on the card however.) So Louvre easy. Other museums and Versailles I have clicked all the way to the payment page and don't see a place to pay with the Pass. (There is a space for a "coupon code" but no way to know if that would take the pass #, and it doesn't make sense to buy the pass if it ultimately can't be used) Does anyone know? Travelling in August!!

Posted by
2671 posts

Although I am a big fan of the Paris Museum Pass, for just this year, I am not buying it. I'm going to direct purchase tickets for all of my sites to make things simpler in a complicated year.

Posted by
2704 posts

Several guides have been saying recently that so long as museums are requiring timed entry tickets that are reserved ahead of time that the museum pass is not a good deal.

Posted by
2655 posts

I have rarely ever suggested that anyone purchase a museum pass. If you're serious about museums, purchase entry for the few most interesting to you and spend the time in them that they deserve rather than briskly walking through as many as you can.

Posted by
8441 posts

The pass was a good buy when it allowed multiple entries -- now it is pretty hard to get its value with the reservation requirements and fact it no longer allows multiple entries thanks to abuses by tour groups from the country that has justifiably gained the reputation of having the worst tourists in the world..

Posted by
8441 posts

Bobby -- that is great advice for when the pass allowed unlimited entries -- two hours, maybe 3 is my max too -- so I could go to the Louvre 3 days in a row for a couple of hours and then visit a lesser museum for an hour or so that day -- now it is one and done. 2 hours is just not enough time for the Louvre but now that the Louvre has stopped its re-entry for the day policy and the museum pass limits entries to one there is no graceful way to enjoy the Louvre unless you have a membership.

If you are a teacher you can get an annual membership for 35 Euro (or could when we last did it) which allows a guest on Friday and Weds evenings. Alas once I retired I could not longer get a membership -- you had to have active teacher ID (country doesn't matter -- grade level doesn't matter -- school or college). There are more costly 'friends of the Louvre' type memberships and we will probably do this in the fall when we are there for a month and a half.

Posted by
27623 posts

I've looked at the Louvre membership myself. It's worth considering for those doing a fair amount of traveling in France. It covers entry to some additional places around the country, not just the Louvre.

Posted by
7 posts

Please, OP was asking how to use Museum Pass with timed entry ticket, not to debate the merit of use it or not.
I plan to buy MP. I was told just to choose any € 0.00 free option for the timed ticket, even it is not for MP. You can show your MP at the gate together with your free ticket.
I actually found MP is convenient to use with the timed entry ticket as you don't have to pay up front. If you cannot make it to the museum, you don't lose anything.

Posted by
2704 posts

Yes, I appreciate the remarks about considering a membership etc. -- thanks everyone for your input.
As an example of a related tidbit but not a direct response to navigating museum webpage checkouts,
I will mention that in all the times I've been to the Louvre, I've only used the pyramid entry once.