Please sign in to post.

Paris Museum Pass

In the past I got the Paris Museum Pass - is it still available and best way to visit Paris museums?
We will be there in September.

Posted by
15800 posts

is it still available

Yes.

best way to visit Paris museums

"Best" is subjective. It depends on how many of the included attractions you wish to see and how much TIME you realistically have to do that. Be aware as well that, unlike some years ago, you can only visit an attraction a single time with the pass, and some of them, like the Louvre, mandate advance, timed-entry reservations even if using the pass.

You can purchase the pass when you arrive in Paris.

https://www.parismuseumpass.fr/t-en

For info on timed-entry reservations, reference this section of the "Paris Pass", which includes the Museum Pass in its attraction+ transport+ some other stuff "bundle" (I'm not advising buying this pass).

https://parispass.com/en-us/reservations

Understand that you want to reference ONLY those attractions offered by the Museum Pass, such as Sainte-Chapelle, the Louvre, Versailles, etc. It does not include tours and some other things offered under the Paris Pass.

Posted by
8035 posts

The benefits in the past were you could make several short visits to a giant place like the Louvre and you could use the shorter security lines for ticket holders. Now everyone has a timed ticket (and you have to get one most places even with the pass so not as spur of the moment) and you only get one entrance per site.

Unless you are doing a museum marathon and have costed out that it will save you money with what you plane to do anyway, I would not bother. It gives no special advantage now.

Posted by
23 posts

I bought the 4 days museum pass for my husband and I (kids are free). We got a lot of value out of it because we visited 5 museums with it. We managed to visit Arc de Triomphe, Pompidou Center, Musee d'Orsay, Louvre, Sainte Chapelle, Rodin Museum with it. I'm not sure it entirely works out to be more economical, but it was very convenient. I wish we had time to visit the Picasso Museum too.

Posted by
11 posts

I will update when we get back, but we are spending 5 days in Paris at the end of June. The 6-day pass worked out to 13.50 per day or closer to 16.50 since we are leaving from CDG on the morning of our 6th day before we could use any passes. Personally, I think it's a great bargain, but our itinerary might be too ambitious. For example one day we're focusing on the Middle Ages and doing Saint Chapelle, Conciergerie and Cluny and another is Napoleon with Invalides and Arc d'Triomphe. That's $63 dollars before we set foot in the Louvre or Musee d'Orsay. But everyone has different priorities.

This is a family trip while the kids still want to travel with us so we are hitting the main attractions. If it were just me and my husband we might do more ambling around and less doing. I also like that if we're near the Rodin Museum, I can just pop in to get a cup of coffee at the cafe and enjoy the gardens and a statue or two without feeling the need to see everything. (It's not on my schedule but there are two days we are really close and I hope to fit it in)

Posted by
13906 posts

@photini: Keep in mind the passes are actually based on hours so for instance on a 2-day pass you can enter museums over 3 days depending on your timing.

2days = 48 hours/4 days = 96 hours /6 days=144 hours

Using a 2 day-48 hr pass as an example, If you enter museum 1 on Day 1 at 11A you can still enter museums on Day 3 up to 10:59A. I wouldn’t push it that close but you could certainly have a 10A entry time on Day 3.

I’m mentioning this in case you can work with a 4 day/96 hour pass.

And yes, I used a 2-day pass over 3 days in Fall 2019 when they changed to the current hour system.

The thing that has changed is the need for timed entries for everyone for some museums. On my most recent trip I skipped the Museum Pass and just got timed entries because I wanted the Louvre twice.