Please sign in to post.

Paris museum pass

If I wait until I get to Paris on March 24 to buy a 6 day museum pass, is there anyway to reserve time slots for individual museums before then? If I have to wait how easy will it be to get timed slots with only a day or so notice? Merci.

Posted by
8049 posts

Others have reported that you can do this by just entering some random numbers where they want the pass number.

Given the requirements to get tickets ahead and the fact that the pass no longer offers multiple entries to a site, it is unlikely that it is a good idea for most travelers. Be sure that you are actually getting a benefit sufficient for the hassles involved. If it doesn't save you a lot of money, then it is not worth it as it offers no other real benefit.

Posted by
82 posts

I went to Paris for 10 days in December to visit a friend. I got the 4 day museum pass because I wanted to visit a bunch of museums I had never been to in my previous stays. I got it when I was there and bought it at the Conciergerie, which was my first entry. That night I proceeded to reserve my time slot for the Louvre for 2 days later. And that was the only reservation I made. I went to all the other museums without reserving any time slot.
I think the museum pass is convenient depending on how many museums you want to visit. Just have a look online at the tickets you would buy. For me personally it saved me a good chunk of money.

Posted by
13934 posts

The only museum I'd actually worry about would be the Louvre. Is that on your plan of museums?

You can go to the ticket purchase page for the Louvre and see what is available. I just looked and it looks like plenty of entry times are available from March 24 on. Lots of open times every day they are open.

https://www.ticketlouvre.fr/louvre/b2c/index.cfm/calendar/eventCode/MusWeb

I also went to the Orsay ticketing page. There was no problem with buying on the day when I was there in October but I wanted to look. It looks like there is plenty of availability (even more than the Louvre) for March 24 onward. It does look like it's fully booked for tomorrow (Sunday) but there are plenty for Tuesday (closed Monday).

https://billetterie.musee-orsay.fr/en-GB/home

If you are anxious about this, I'd reserve the time slot ahead of time. If so, I'd do as Janet suggests and put in random numbers then go back and put in the real ones when you purchase your pass in Paris.

You know you can buy the Museum Pass in many Tabacs which may be near your hotel or lodging? You can also buy at museums but it's better not to buy at the bigger museums like the Louvre.

Do take on board Janet's information about the Museum Pass not being as good a deal as it was prior to the summer of 2019. IF you are going to a lot of museums, it can be good. Otherwise, with the timed entries, it's just as easy to buy single tickets.

Also be aware that the "6-day" pass is actually 144 hours. SO...if you make your first museum entry at Noon on day one, you can still get a museum entry on Day 7 at 9 or 10A.

Posted by
46 posts

Thank you everyone, especially Pam doing the research for me! So appreciate this site.

Posted by
13934 posts

Well, Regina, you are very welcome but I can't say it wasn't self-serving, lol! Headed to Paris in April and needed to look and see what the reservation situation was for myself anyway!

Posted by
46 posts

Well thank you! As far as I can remember I was in Paris for the first and last time in 1972 (backpacked for 9 weeks then). Also backpacked in 1974 for three months and 1978 for four months. For the life of me I cannot recall ever going back to Paris on those two trips! And neither can my trip mates! For sure this is my nieces first time, and after 50 years it will be like a first time for me as well. We are excited to spend 9 nights there. The first four nights we are staying in a hotel in the 7th A and the last 5 nights in an Air B & B in the Marais. At this time we are not planning on going outside of the city at all. Any fun suggestions or must dos are always appreciated!

Posted by
818 posts

Orsay doesn't require a reserved slot for PMP holders. Also, it's open until 8 pm or later on Thursdays.

Posted by
13934 posts

With 8 full days in Paris you will find plenty to do to entertain yourselves without doing day trips!

For specifics:

Do you all have any interest in Art Nouveau architecture? On the days you are staying in the 7th IF this area is convenient to you, you can add this in to a walk-by when you are out and about.

The Jules Lavirotte facades: Avenue Rapp/Square Rapp and on Rue du Champ de Mars.

https://www.parisperfect.com/blog/2011/03/art-nouveau-7th-arrondissement/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Lavirotte

Here is a neat walking tour of the 7th from Corey Frye, A French Frye in Paris. It's not that you need to do the whole walk as he suggests but if you are in this area of the 7th it will be fun to keep a lookout for the things he mentions. I particularly went looking for the 1910 flood marker he shows on Rue Sainte-Dominique (at about 14:13 in the walk) and can hardly believe the water got that high when you see how far you are from the Seine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAY8vsAbpFs

Paris Walks does some chocolate and fashion tours but not sure what their deal is right now. You can check with them to see how they may be offering these particular selections.

www.paris-walks.com