Please sign in to post.

Paris metro passes

Arriving in Paris on a Saturday and leaving on Thursday morning.
What is the best type of pass to get for the metro / RER ?

Also, is it better to take the RER or a shuttle bus from the airport?

Thanks

Posted by
9597 posts

How many people in your party, and what is your hotel location? Taxis are a fixed rate for into the city -- 55€ for Right Bank and 62€ for Left Bank -- for up to four people.

The RER costs 11.45€ a person.

"Better" depends on how many people, how price-sensitive you are, how light you are traveling, and how the road traffic and RER trains are running on the particular morning you arrive.

I would never recommend a shuttle, they ceased to be a good economic choice once the taxis went to fixed rates a few years ago.

Posted by
8063 posts

There is probably no pass that makes sense for your time frame, as the only really great pass is the navigo decouverte card with weekly or monthly passes and the weekly pass runs from Mon -Sun of one week.

I would take a cab from the airport for a fixed price: 55 right bank/61 left. Then get Navigo Easy cards (some stations vend them from machines, others you have to buy them on the machine and take the receipt to the window to get the card. You then put either a day pass (about 8.50 for Paris I think) or 10 metro/bus tickets (called a book on the English instructions of a carnet on the French) on the card for about 17 Euro which is a discount. You can also load individual tickets for 2.10. And can add tickets if need be. If you go out of Paris e.g. Versailles -- you buy paper RER tickets on the machines -- get two so you. have one to return without having to line up again. The only pass that sort of fits your dates and includes airport transport is the 6 day Paris Visite which is the most expensive product available by a long shot; it is virtually never cost effective.

Posted by
101 posts

Kim - jumping on to ask what might be a supremely stupid question - but is the flat rate the same to the airport as from the airport? Just trying to figure out my own transportation to CDG in April.

Posted by
857 posts

Kim - jumping on to ask what might be a supremely stupid question - but is the flat rate the same to the airport as from the airport? Just trying to figure out my own transportation to CDG in April.

The base rate is the same to or from CDG, with one exception. At CDG you go to the taxi stand where cars are waiting. From your hotel, you will want to arrange for a taxi at your desired time, and that adds a surcharge - I recall 7 euros pre pandemic? But you do not want to assume you will be able to hail a taxi on the street in Paris, so you will want to reserve one.

I of course defer to Kim for the current rates and would follow her advice.

Posted by
58 posts

There two people in my party and we just have carryons.

Do you need a photo to get the navigo pass? Do you buy the base pass and then add money to it as needed?

Thanks for the help.

Posted by
2546 posts

There are Navigo cards and there are Navigo passes which are loaded onto one of the card options, of which there are three:

Navigo Découverte (5€) - nontransferable, requires printed name and photo of bearer, used for multiday passes.

Navigo Easy (2€) - transferable, used for tickets t+, airport buses, and day passes.

Android phones - loaded with either the Île-de-France Mobilité app or the Bonjour RATP app, a linked credit card. Can replace either Navigo card.