Please sign in to post.

Paris metro

Would appreciate recommendations for a good app for traveling paris metro using an iphone. thanks!

Posted by
1307 posts

I like Citymapper but RATP is the official metro/bus site and that works well also.

Posted by
8889 posts

I will be contrary and say you don't need an app. It is not that complicated, you just need the normal métro map.
Here: https://www.ratp.fr/sites/default/files/plans-lignes/Plans-essentiels/Plan-Metro.1571994565.pdf
You can get free paper versions.
Every hotel I have ever stayed at in Paris gives out free maps of the city, with a métro map on the back, and the street map indicating the location of ever métro station. That is all you need.
Same with most other cities in Europe.

Posted by
19 posts

Wow! thank you for your quick reply. Citymapper it is.

Posted by
219 posts

I've seen the replies saying the commonly available paper maps is all you need. I did my first trip to Paris with RS last year. One of the group had a phone app that showed him where particular platforms and particular exits were in the more complicated Metro stations (where you can transfer to different lines). It would work underground in the station and he could turn his phone and get a direction to go to the wanted exit. Sorry, don't know what the app was but it was useful in those circumstances. In the simpler Metro stations it wasn't needed.

Posted by
36 posts

Just got back from Paris. Used Google maps and had no issues. Its also pretty easy using regular map.

Posted by
2545 posts

Google maps is fine for walking around Paris. However, for public transportation, they fall very short and do not list all public transportation options.

I strongly recommend Citymapper which is really the only app you need for public transportation.

Posted by
9570 posts

CityMapper. Will show you what's quickest between metro, bus, combination, taxi, scooter, ave lib, walking, etc etc. no question it will help you get around the city the most efficiently. Tells you which part of the train to sit in to be at the optimal point for your next transfer or leaving the station, which exit you need, and how to walk to your final destination.

It will also advise you when a line is down or experiencing delays.

I've lived here for nearly 14 years, and I use it every day — including Friday, when I left work and it advised me my regular route home was disrupted.

Posted by
10189 posts

I asked this very question last week and after forty+ years of using paper maps and the RATPapp, I am loving CityMapper precisely for the info on the best train car to choose and best station exit for my destination. But I do feel a little lost about where exactly I am under the city unless I pull out my little paper metro map, too, once I’m traveling along, just for my own knowledge.

Posted by
9570 posts

Bets — yes, good point. I love “real” maps and being able to situate myself. I will never lose that interest!

Posted by
5 posts

My husband and I spent 11/11/19 - 11/17/19 in Paris and took the metro every single day. We used Apple maps and it worked great for us. When you type in where you want to go, hit the transit option at the bottom and hit go, then slide up from the bottom and hit the details option. It will tell you walking directions to the metro stop, which metro number to get on and the direction towards you need to go (VERY important to pay attention to as we learned lol!), and also how many stops to ride through and which to get off. Along with walking directions from your metro stop to your destination. Just pay careful attention if you need to make a switch from one line to another.

Posted by
3110 posts

If you like paper: all the sidewalk news kiosks sell a great little booklet with extremely detailed maps of all of Paris, including the transport options.

Posted by
33 posts

Speaking of apps --- what is the latest on using an American smartphone? In 2012 I couldn't get mine to work despite following many different sets of instructions from official websites and travel forums. (Since then I've heard there is a company in Paris that rents French compatible iPhones to tourists!)

Posted by
3695 posts

@ tripthelight, I have been using my iPhone in France without problem (except for an enormous bill in 2011 from AT&T) since 2010. Do you have international service and an international data plan for your phone? For the past few years I have used T-Mobile with their unlimited data plan and it has been very budget friendly. Your question is a bit vague. I'm not sure what problem you had so not sure what advice you need. And yes, there are companies like INSIDR that rent local phones but you could just buy a French SIM card if you have an unlocked phone.

Posted by
12172 posts

I've used RATP and was fairly happy with it. I read some recent comments that they updated it and made it much worse. I haven't used Citymapper but that seems to get good reviews.

Posted by
33 posts

Thanks JHK. I was there in 2012 and I had an Android smartphone (probably Samsung or maybe Motorola Risr at the time). I don't recall exactly what I tried, but I remember doing extensive research / calls to tech support to my carrier etc. beforehand to make sure my phone was unlocked/compatible and exactly what steps I should take to get a European SIM card so I could get up and running. And for whatever reason, the people in the cell phone shops were unable to get it to work in either Iceland or France.

Hopefully next time the technology or whatever will be easier, or I will just rent one if need be. Not having a working phone was a problem when I was stuck a few times at transportation hubs and couldn't call a hotel or shuttle bus service or whatnot and I could not make the pay phones work for the life of me. I swear I'm fairly tech savvy but the communications gods were not on my side that trip!

Posted by
9570 posts

For the record, CityMapper has extensive information up on the app regarding the strike starting this evening.