Please sign in to post.

Paris Metro

Hello! I’ve dished out quality advice for Vienna, so I’m hoping some kind soul will return the favor.

We are two families (4 adults, 4 children ages 11, 14, 16, 17) who will be in Paris from Thursday, June 30 through Monday, July 4. Arriving/departing CDG.

We are staying in a hotel near Gare de Lyon. We aim to see the highlights, but are not stressed because we’ve all been to Paris multiple times. The farthest site we will visit is Versailles. I am very comfortable with public transportation.

So my questions -
1. What type of transportation pass should we get for the adults and kids? Do we need a passport photo?
2. What app or website is best for journey planning? I use Google Maps for Vienna, for example.
3. Should we or can we book Versailles in advance?
4. What is the most cost effective way to get from CDG to our hotel near Gare de Lyon?

Thanks in advance!

Posted by
9403 posts

I use Google Maps in Paris.

Yes, book Versailles in advance.

A weekly Métro pass is good from Monday-Sunday. Depends on how much you’ll use the Métro and buses… i’d have to do the math if a weekly pass is worthwhile for you from Thurs to Sunday including your trip to Versailles. Might be cost effective to get, plus it makes using public transportation so easy. Yes you need a passport size photo, but could just be a printed copy on paper. You’ll need to buy the kit for the weekly pass (Navigo Découverte) for €5 each i believe, then you load the weekly pass on to it.

For Monday, you’ll all need the pass that you just load tickets on to.

This website explains it all:
Parisbytrain.com

Posted by
9460 posts

Emily, for journey planning, including up-to-the-minute info on delays or reroutings, and options including buses and walking, CityMapper really is the best.

Two taxis -- one for each family -- are, as Sam has said, the best value since you are each a party of four.

There unfortunately isn't really a transit pass that makes sense for you. Paris doesn't have good day or three-day or whatever passes. You can buy a bunch of paper tickets -- kids to a certain age are half-price -- or buy Navigo Easy cards for 2€ a pop. Since the paper tickets are still available, and you are so many, I would go with paper tickets.

Posted by
9403 posts

Kim, isn't the Navigo Easy cheaper than paper tickets?

And if they’re all going to Versailles the Navigo Découverte might be the most cost effective. Again, depends also on how much public transportation they’ll be using vs walking.

Posted by
9460 posts

Damn --i just looked up the age for kids -- kids are free under four, half-price from four to ten years old, and then above 10 pay full fare. So there is no discount for anyone in your party from that perspective.

What Susan says about the Navigo Découverte for the week may well be true but remember you will still need something for Monday, as it will fall in the "next" week.

Posted by
9460 posts

Kim, isn't the Navigo Easy cheaper than paper tickets?

You can buy a carnet of tickets for less on an Easy, it is true. But every person has to have their own card -- you can't share.

so they would already be laying out 16 euros just to obtain the damn cards. You have kind of lost any price advantage there -

And the only price discount is for a carnet of 10 tickets -- individual tickets cost the same on an Easy or in paper. So if you are just here for a few days, you're paying an unnecessary 2€ to obtain the card, which isn't saving you anything.

Posted by
9460 posts

So -- five euros each for a Navigo Decouverte, plus 22.80 each for a pass (Semaine) that gets you from Thursday to Sunday, including your trip in from CDG and your trip to Versailles and back.

Then for Monday you either have to 1) buy individual tickets ; 2) buy a Navigo Découverte Day.

Unfortunately Paris / Île de France transport doesn't make this very family / visitor friendly.

Posted by
9403 posts

Thanks Kim.
Yeah it all comes down to how much pt you’ll use, need to do the math. I always go for the easiest to use (a pass) vs individual tickets you have to keep track of, ie, used tickets (but keep til you exit) and not-used tickets… a pia imo.

Posted by
9460 posts

Oh yes I definitely see your perspective. But you are usually here for longer period of time, and they have many more people in their party -- getting 8 passes set up is going to take a little bit of time in and of itself.

Posted by
9460 posts

Emily if you do end up going the pass route, then your travel into Paris from CDG is covered. As long as you're not arriving late at night (when they have cuts of the RER B), getting in from the airport to Gare de Lyon Area is pretty easy:

RER B into town

At Châtelet (one stop after Gare du Nord), get off the RER B and literally walk across the platform to the RER A and go one stop to Gare de Lyon. It's actually about the easiest RER route you could have.

Posted by
9403 posts

They can do the Navigo Découverte then individual tickets for Monday….

OR a Navigo Easy or individual tickets the entire time (if you prefer taxis from CDG, and you pay extra for r/t tickets for Versailles).

This is why the answer depends on how much pt you all will use.

If you take the RER in from CDG (no taxis) and go to Versailles, and use the Métro and buses often enough, i’d get the Navigo Découverte for Thurs-Sun and individual tickets for Mon. This is your least expensive option imo.

Do you have to get back to CDG on Tues? If so, a taxi is the least expensive option for 8 people without a Navigo Découverte.

Edit: Kim types and posts so fast that by the time i responded to one she had already posted many more… 😂😂😂

Posted by
19637 posts

And if you are going to use the Navigo Decouverte, use that to get to Gare de Lyon on arrival. You can splurge for taxis going to the airport on Monday.

You will have to change RER lines to get to Gare de Lyon. Make this change at Les Halles from the B to the A as it is an easy cross platform change.

Posted by
7977 posts

I'd do the ND for everyone. If you use it for the CDG to Gare du Lyon and then. to and from Versailles, you will have about 18 Euro in costs covered and so with all other transport covered, it is a bargain. On Monday if you are returning to either airport take a couple of cabs -- if you need any metro runs during Monday just buy individual tickets on the machine.

The photos needed is 25/30 mm which is smaller than a passport photo -- you can print them off on your computer at home before arrival and cut them to size. Get the pass kits and a week charge on them at the airport; Be sure to assemble them with photo and printed name before using them. If you get ticket checked they msut be assembled or you will be traveling ' without a ticket' and heavily fined. After that, it is just so totally easy.