Please sign in to post.

Paris metro

It has been a while since I’ve been to Paris, so I was refreshing knowledge about the metro. 🤦‍♀️ I have to admit I’m confused! Two of us will be there 3 days. Arriving at gare est from strasbourg on day one.
Will do several metro trips that day. Day 2 Versaille and then several central Paris metro trips. Day 3 “probably “ several rides , but in evening rer to cdg. It looks like I should do all individual tickets? Conflicting info online…. Are individual or carnet paper tickets still available? Thank you!!

Posted by
581 posts

The Paris By Train website is quite helpful for info on tickets and passes. Having said that, the Navigo Easy card (2€) lets you load the carnet 10 tickets option that may cover you for your days. You can add additional tickets as needed. You would need separate tickets for Versailles and CDG given they are further out.

Posted by
14191 posts

Yes, I agree with Claire. Get the Navigo Easy card. It will not cover your trip out to Versailles though.

They are not selling the paper metro tickets any more. If you want to buy individual rides you can put them on the Navigo but it's just as easy to add a carnet to the Navigo Easy.

Posted by
8191 posts

If those 3 days fall between Monday and Sunday of one week et the Navigo Decouverte which will cost you 35 for the week. Since the trip to CDG is 11:45 and to and from Versailles i 8.20, buyiing the Navigo Easy and adding a carnet will cost about the same and be much less convenient.

Bring a postage stamp size head shot and get the card on arrival and you can do all the rest of your travel without giving it a thought -- it covers all travel in the Ile de France.

Posted by
564 posts

I think the Navajo Easy card is easier than the navigo decouverte. No picture needed. Do you really want the hassle of getting a passport size photo of all of you and carrying it around just so you can affix it a card that may not correspond with the three days that you are there?
Just buy the Navajo Easy card from the metro ticket window, add a carnet of 10 rides and you are good. You will need a different ticket to go to Versaille on the RER or to the airport on the RER.
You may find that a taxi to CDG (it's fixed price of either €62 or €55) in the evening may be worth it if you have a lot of luggage.

Posted by
183 posts

In defense of the Navigo Decouverte, you can buy it and use it on your phone. Take a selfie, purchase, and then just tap into the metro/RER. It's beyond easy and provides such freedom that I go for it whenever I'm in Paris at least four days of the week.

Posted by
563 posts

In defense of the Navigo Decouverte, you can buy it and use it on your
phone.

Please note this isn't (currently) available on iOS, although it appears work is underway to make this possible. Currently you need an Android phone with Android 8.0 or above.

What are the three days of the week? That does have an impact on whether buying a Navigo weekly would make sense.

Posted by
27 posts

Thanks for all your thoughts and replies! I’m leaning toward the navigo decouverte ( sp) for ease and perhaps a little time saving? We arrive on Wednesday and leave for cdg Friday evening. After reading about the paper tics that don’t expire , I went to my travel “miscellaneous “ drawer and found what I believe to be 5 Paris metro tickets.. light grey with an sncf in right top corner?

Posted by
8191 posts

the Navigo Easy does not provide the same travel options as the Navigo Decouverte -- so by choosing the Easy you then have to have fussy little paper tickets easy to lose or demagnetize for all trips outside Paris. The OP is going to CDG and Versailles neither of which is economically reached on the NE. The trouble of printing a small head shot on your computer is minimal. The picture is not passport sized.

Posted by
209 posts

Hello,
Just returned from Paris last week. Navigo Easy was best for me for 4 days. The other card requires ID and a photo needs to be provided. Also I think they have done away with paper tickets. Navigo Easy was easy. Enjoy your trip

Posted by
919 posts

Bring your old tickets and give them a try. My recent experience was that they were accepted, even though no longer sold. Color of the tickets doesn’t matter, it changed over time, but the tickets were still valid even if not the current color.

Posted by
2584 posts

Old paper tickets t+ may be used. If you have a concern with one, take it to the service window where it can be replaced for a new ticket t+.

Paper tickets t+ are still sold and are widely available. The only change is that there is no longer a discount when purchasing paper tickets t+ in groups of 10. No matter how many you buy, they are 2.10€ each.

Posted by
919 posts

Thanks, Tocard. Correcting my above post - carnets are no longer sold. Yes, you can buy single paper tickets. Posted before my morning coffee!

Posted by
2 posts

Hello everyone,
Navigo card is the best option here within Paris. however, if you go in the suburbs (Versailles), you will need to buy individual tickets because they are more expensive (RER & TER).

Posted by
2584 posts

Navigo card is the best option

There are a lot of Navigo cards. Those of interest to tourists are the Navigo Easy and the Navigo Decouverte, but there are others.

In this case, the OP could purchase a Navigo Easy card (2€),and load 10 tickets t+ (16.90€)

A ticket to CDG costs 11.45€ from any metro station via the RER B.