Please sign in to post.

paris march 18-30 2020

nephew's spring break is then...am i crazy to take him @ that time? we will be taking day trips -normandy, st michel, etc (any other suggestion?) he is 14 & loves to learn new things...real smart young man. thank you. ciotka

Posted by
27156 posts

Although it is theoretically possible if you don't mind many, many hours on trains and/or buses, I wouldn't be willing to make day-trips from Paris to either Mont-Saint-Michel or the D-Day sites. It would be better to spend less time in Paris (where hotels are quite expensive) and go up to Normandy for a few nights.

There's room for a variety of opinions about shoulder- and off-season travel. What level of weather risk are you willing to tolerate? What is "too cold" for you if it also happens to be wet and perhaps breezy?

I don't consider monthly averages an adequate basis for a decision like this, so I'd head to timeanddate.com. There you will find at least 10 years' worth of actual, day-by-day historical weather statistics. That website will give you a good idea of the range of conditions you might face.

I wouldn't do it if you paid my way. That doesn't mean you shouldn't.

Posted by
6525 posts

We spent about a week in Paris in late March nine years ago and the weather was OK, not optimal, a couple of rainy days, always chilly but fine for city sightseeing. That's one week, YMMV. Those long-term average temps are useful but not infallible. Bring layers but don't stay home just because it's March.

I agree that day trips to Normandy and MSM wouldn't be a good idea, they're too far from Paris. If you want to go there, make it at least a couple of nights. And note that Normandy generally has colder and wetter weather than Paris and elsewhere in France. My preference would be day trips to places like Chartres or Versailles.

Posted by
7873 posts

Hard to say; but I doubt I would take a 14 year old to France and would only do it if the 14 year old contributes to the decisions on what you both should see. But it would be cheaper when the weather could be lousy and would work if you know your interests would not be affected by that. Everyone is different.

Posted by
15589 posts

It might be cold and very windy in Normandy. If your nephew is very keen to go, do it! At least one night but 2 is better since that gives you a full day, you may even want/need 3 nights. To make it easier, leave most of your luggage in storage and take small overnight bags. If you are changing hotels after your trip north, either hotel will keep your luggage for you. It's not a bad idea to change hotels anyway, stay south of the Seine and then north of it.

The usually day trips are Versailles and Chartres. There are some interesting (non-art) museums in Paris - science, Les Invalides (army), the zoo to name a few. Look at the current schedule for Paris Walks. Most, if not all, of them are offered year-round.

Late March is a good time to go, not so many tourists, and not as cold as winter. Weather is always unpredictable. Plan for indoor days and outdoor days and be flexible depending on each day's weather.

Posted by
292 posts

As long as you're both fine with knowing the weather could be nice or could be not-so-nice, why not? I take teenagers to eastern France most years around the same time, late-March early-April, because that's our spring break. Some years we've had warm weather, no jackets needed. Last year we had several days of that gorgeous weather, warm enough to eat outside comfortably, followed by a day of actual snow, and then some chillier-but-fine days.

If your nephew is excited about the prospect of the trip and is prepared to have a good attitude, I think you could have a fabulous time! I know I'd love to travel with my nephews and nieces someday.

For your itinerary, I agree with previous posters - those day trips would be awfully long. You'd have enough time to spend a couple of nights in Normandy, and it would probably be more enjoyable.