Please sign in to post.

Paris/London Christmas/NYE 2019

I posted a similar question on the England section and wanted to post in this section as my question pertains to Paris as well. My husband and I are considering spending Christmas and NYE in London and Paris. We’d like to divide our time between both, spending Christmas in one place and NYE in the other. We are open as far as number of days at this point. We have no set itinerary yet. Can anyone tell me their thoughts on Christmas and NYE in Paris? We were in London November 2018 and really enjoyed the lights and festive atmosphere. What sites are closed in Paris? What’s transportation like at this time? Is it possible to have a Christmas dinner at a restaurant or will many be closed? We would fly in a couple days before Christmas and leave a day or so after the new year. Thanks for any helpful advise.
Erica

Posted by
2550 posts

You absolutely do not want to be in London on Christmas Day. Everything, and I mean absolutely everything is closed. You can walk the streets just like the Omega man. You might find a casual restaurant open in the evening. Boxing Day, the 26th, will only be marginally better.

Paris is very different. Much is closed on Christmas but all transportation will be operational, boulangeries will be open in the morning, and restaurants will offer Christmas dinner. You´ll find a number of cafés, particularly the larger ones, open most of the day.

If you are planning a week or so, unquestionably start with Paris for Christmas, then take the Eurostar to London for New Years Eve.

Posted by
101 posts

We were in London for Christmas in 2016 and loved it. It is true that many places are closed - but not everything is. We did a walking tour from Trafalgar Square, at lunch at a lovely cafe adjacent to the Square and had a splendid dinner at Asia de Cuba. I personally wouldn't hesitate spending Christmas Eve and Christmas in London. We had a wonderful time and didn't feel like the city was 'shut down.'

And we were just in Paris for this past New Year's Eve. It was the last night of an 8 day France trip. We stayed in the Rue Cler era basically because we'd previously found a wonderful restaurant (7eme Vin) for which we had NYE dinner reservations. We'd been in Paris for a previous New Years Eve - and its a wonderful place to be. As long as you realize that the city doesn't go crazy overboard for the holiday like a New York does. Its more understated - and we find it wonderful.

Whatever you choose - I think it'd be pretty difficult to not be happy in both cities. And have a great time!

Posted by
3391 posts

We spent Christmas in London this season and had an amazing time! Tocard is not quite correct. There are some things open. Small convenience stores, Asian restaurants, and quite a number of pubs and restaurants are open for Christmas Day dinner with a reservation. The city is lovely and blissfully quiet. You can walk around with the absence of buses. Cars are at a minimum as well. Public transport is entirely closed down but that isn't a problem if you just plan ahead. London is very walkable as long as you are staying in the center. You can get great pictures of the city with smaller crowds than usual, especially if you get up early...it's pretty great.
I also don't get the Boxing Day comment...almost everything is open on Boxing Day! If it isn't open then it isn't something you would want to do anyway. There are plenty of restaurants and pubs (not all of them but many of them) open and every store is open and having sales that are pretty fabulous. I've never experienced crowds like we did on Regent Street and Oxford Street that day - crazy!! People actually fly in from all over the eastern hemisphere for the sales.