Please sign in to post.

Paris Late March 2022 - A few Questions re: Hotel, Day trip

Hi All,
With France opening up for Green countries, and us having our vaccinations, I am going to plan a trip in late march for my Wife's 60th Birthday. Will be a short trip, 6 nights to Paris (we are spending a longer vacation in summer in Swiss Alps/Area). I have done these types of trips often where I pick a city, go for 6 or so nights and enjoy. I have been to Paris many times (used to work in Paris), but my Wife has not. So I am familiar with the city. However, I am curious about Post Covid Hotels. I was thinking staying in the 7th, as I believe my Wife would enjoy the area. Anybody have recent updates to hotels in the area? Looks like Hotel Leveque is undergoing construction (I actually have not stayed there in a long time, as I stayed in the 8th for work, and for vacations past few times stayed at other Rue Cler area hotels.). An alternative, is possibly staying in the Marais, as I believe she may like that as well.

Anyway, any hotel updates recommendations appreciated. Not looking for luxury. I base hotels off location, price and "Local feel". We like family run places, places with a lot of character, and maybe history (stayed at Hotel Champs du Mars before covid, Hotel Leveque a number of times, but not anything recent, In the 1st, and as mentioned many times in the 8th.)

Of all the times I have been to Paris, I have always said "next time" I will get to the Normandy D-Day beaches - I need to go. However, I never went, then took a different job, and my Paris trips for work stopped. I know it is not easy to get to via public transportation. I am thinking Train to Bayeaux, and then maybe getting a half day tour for there. Yes, I know, we should spend the night, and then drive to Mont St Michel :-). Next time. This will be a long exhausting day trip, but something I need to do. Anybody do something similar and have recommendations on tour? self guided? Train tips? etc.

Thank you!

Glenn

Posted by
8063 posts

I think a day trip to the Normandy Beaches from Paris is a bad idea but if you are going to do it, I would look into tours from Paris -- long day on the bus but reduces logistics issues. The half day tours I am aware of start in the morning and so you could not do a train from Paris for those. You might also look for a private guide who could arrange the tour to your train schedule.

Posted by
4858 posts

Have stayed in the Rue Cler area before, but lately have preferred staying right in the center of the city. The Hotel des Deux-Iles is as centrally located as can be on Ile St. Louis There are also a couple of other hotels on the same street. The Metro is near enough that getting anywhere is not a problem.

Posted by
27155 posts

I urge you not to take a half-day tour of the invasion sites. I know such tours exist, but not every tour that exists is a good idea. The sites are some distance from Bayeux, requiring a good bit of driving. The time needed to get from Bayeux to the first stop, and later back to Bayeux from the last stop, leaves you precious little time actually to see invasion sites. Take a full-day tour. Overlord Tours operates a tour for people staying in Paris. The deal is that you take the early train up to Bayeux and the van picks you up right at the train station. (The normal tour departure point is some distance away, and the regular tours start before the train arrives.) Then at the end of the day, the tour drops you off back at the train station in time to get the return train to Paris.

https://www.overlordtour.com/product/tour-2fs-omaha-utah-full-day-tour-week-days-only/

March is off-season for Normandy. I would not assume the tour will run every weekday. As soon as you know the dates you will be in Paris, you should contact Overlord and let it know you have two people who want to take that tour. Ask what day(s) it's most likely to run. You may not be able to get definitive information until much closer to your travel dates. Do take note of the cancellation policy in the FAQs: https://www.overlordtour.com/the-most-popular/#1490371394381-f6d11166-12b0

I stayed in Bayeux for several days and took one of the regular tours, but I think the itinerary of the tour I'm recommending for you is similar. Our lunch break came at St-Mere-Eglise, where we had just about enough time to see the Airborne Museum or to sit down for lunch at a place like a creperie--definitely not time to do both. I opted to buy a pre-made sandwich at a bakery pointed out by our guide; I ate on a bench outdoors. (You may not eat in the van.) I don't know whether your March weather will be conducive to that, but you might want to buy something at your departure train station in Paris to save a bit of time at your lunch stop. I guess your choices will be a bit limited due to considerations of food safety, but I'm sure you can find something. The train station in Bayeux is very lightly used. I don't think there's a food source there.

I don't know whether Overlord takes you back to the station in time for the 5:37 PM train or the 6:37 PM train. The return trip takes about 2-1/2 hours. I'd carry some sort of post-tour snack with me, which you'll probably want to pick up in Paris the morning of the tour.

Posted by
201 posts

Thanks acraven, great info. Thinking long and hard, and thinking, yet again, maybe we will do D Day beach "next time"

With that, my Wife asked about Reims. I have never been! I see high speed train only about 46 min away. Any advice for Reims? Wine tastings?

I have been to Chartres, and suggested that to my Wife as well. Think we will skip Versailles (Been, but I enjoyed other destinations more for the day).

Still looking at hotels.

Thanks!

Glenn

Posted by
2133 posts

Hi Glenn, we love staying in the 7th so we can walk over to see the Eiffel Tower illuminated every night. Our favorite hotels are the Londres Eiffel (close to a Eiffel Tower) and the Hotel de l’Empereur (close to Napoleon’s Tomb). Stayed at both hotels multiple times and highly recommend.

My BF and I spent a few days in Paris prior to a RS tour to Southern France. It was his first time in France and he really wanted to visit Normandy. It took some planning but we did a day trip and it worked out great. We caught the first train to Bayeaux. We had booked a half day shuttle tour and they met us at the station. The tour was about 5 1/2 hours long. We visited Omaha Beach, the American Cemetery, and the museum. They dropped us back at the train station and we were back in Paris for dinner by 9:30 pm. It was a long day but it was really all the time we had. He still remembers that day as the best day of our 3-week trip!

Honestly, not that impressed with Reims. It’s easy to get there by train (45 min). We did a champagne tasting, visited the Cathedral, and the Surrender Museum.

Giverny is also a great day trip but probably not in March.

Posted by
27155 posts

Donna has identified the highlights in Reims. I agree that, as a city, it isn't outstandingly attractive in comparison to other options in France. However, I never met an alcoholic beverage I liked, so that aspect of Reims is meaningless to me.