Please sign in to post.

Paris Itinerary Help

After 10 days in Spain my mother and I are taking a trip to France at the end of July (I know, worst time, but I'm a teacher). We will be in Paris from the 25th through the 30th and I would like some feedback on our itinerary.

Saturday the 25th: drive from Bayeux to Paris, return car, check into hotel, explore the Marais neighborhood around our hotel, and visit the Eiffel Tower at night

Sunday the 26th: Champs Elysees etc, Army museum, Rodin, climb the Eiffel Tower

Monday the 27th: Louvre and around, Orangerie, Jacquemart-Andre, Latin Quarter

Tuesday the 28th: Monet and Versailles, Seines tour in the evening

Wednesday the 29th: Notre Dame, D'Orsay, Louvre again to see another wing, Sacre Coeur

Thursday the 30th: Fly home

I've tried to make sure everything is open the days we are going and at the times, but I'm not positive. Are there things we are missing? Are there things we don't need? It's my first and probably only time to France so I want to make sure I hit as much as possible, while trying to stay relaxed since it's the end of a 20 day trip.

Posted by
10344 posts

What do you mean by "28th Monet"? Giverney or one of the Monet museums in Paris?

Are there things we are missing?

Yes, of course, you could spend 10 days in Paris and only see half the things on most peoples' lists.
You actually only have 4 full days in Paris. Prioritize and see what you can see--you only have 4 days, it is what it is.

Posted by
2030 posts

My thoughts.
Sunday: see the Arch de Triomphe for sure, perhaps walk a couple of blocks down the Champs Elysee at most (but it's not necessary).
I believe the Rodin Museum is undergoing renovation now (and you may want to skip it), but the garden is nice and has a lot of his greatest big sculpture pieces. Great place to sit and relax. Definitely see the ET twinkling light show at night (on Saturday). May not need to climb up it later -- which I personally cannot imagine doing, particularly in summer and after a 20 day vacation elsewhere....I walked down the stairs once, never again!
Tuesday: Versailles is an all day event, I wouldn't attempt to do the Monet Gardens too. From what people have stated recently, and many news articles are saying, both sites will be very crowded this summer. I think it's worth seeing Versailles, and suggest seeing the grounds (including the trianons and queen's hamlet) first (which will not be crowded), and going into the palace late in the day.
Your plans for other days may be doable, but the involve a lot of walking and standing. And getting from place to place is exhausting as well. If you skip some sites and just sit in a nice cafe and enjoy the Paris scene for an hour or 2, you will be enjoying one of the best things Paris has to offer.

Posted by
7175 posts

A few points ...
-- Buy a 4 day Paris Museum Pass
-- Don't overload with Orsay and Louvre on same day
-- Forget Jacquemart-Andre as its not included in Paris Museum Pass
-- Forget Monet in late July - gardens not their best even without the crowds
-- Get to Saint Chapelle
-- Get to Centre Pompidou or Musée Picasso if you are staying closeby in the Marais
-- Louvre open til late on Wednesday

Saturday the 25th
Drive from Bayeux to Paris, return car, check into hotel
Arc de Triomphe + Champs Elysees
Eiffel Tower at night

Sunday the 26th
Eiffel Tower
Army Museum + Musée Rodin or Musée du quai Branly
Musée d'Orsay

Monday the 27th
St Chapelle
Latin Quarter
Musée de l’Orangerie
Louvre

Tuesday the 28th
Versailles
Seine Cruise in the evening

Wednesday the 29th
Notre Dame
Centre Pompidou or Musée Picasso (Marais)
Sacre Coeur + Montmartre
Louvre

Posted by
393 posts

I took my wife and 3 adult kids to France 1.5 years ago. I rented a car at the CDG airport and drove to the Normandy area. When we returned to Paris for our time there it was a real pain to find the rental car return place. We drove around the block (during rush hour) a few times and a sun finally saw the sign for the rental return. VERY HIDDEN - underground. The real estate in Paris is precious so they layer everything.

On top of the problem of finding the return location I must have gone down the wrong way somewhere. I finally pulled over in the ramp and walked around and down a floor or two more until I found the rental office. Someone came up and took charge of the car, we went off the the apartment we were renting.

SO either:
1) get to know the rental return location so you're more prepared than I was
or
2) since its only two of you, return the car away from Paris and take a train into town. The train fare may be low for just two.

Posted by
703 posts

Some of the museums are open late a night or two. The Museum Pass website gives the info. I know the Louvre is open until 9:45pm on Wednesdays & Fridays and is much less crowded if you go after 6pm one of those nights. We did a Friday and since we had already done the Mona Lisa wing, we did Napoleons apartment & a quick peek at the Winged Victory. It was great.

Your plan looks good to me. Enjoy Paris and don't forget lots of cafe time!!!