Please sign in to post.

Paris Itinerary

So, the first leg of my trip in October is Paris for 6 nights. From Paris, we are picking up a rental car and spending 3 nights in Epernay, 3 nights near Colmar (Ribeauville) and 3 nights in Beaune, all VRBO's. Then driving back to Paris from Beaune, part of the group will fly home to SFO and the rest will fly to Florence (all flights are after 3:00).

But I would like feedback on my Paris itinerary. I have been to Paris a number of times. But, this time there will be 5 of us. My sister and a very old friend have traveled together often and have all been to Paris more than once. Traveling with us will be a friend and her 16 year old daughter, who have never been to Paris. We arrive on Saturday, Oct 12th at 11:00.

Sat - check in the the hotel (Hotel des Grande Ecole), relax a bit, get changed. Walk around the neighborhood/maybe to the Luxembourg Gardens, grab a bite in a random cafe and then head to Bateau Mouches for an early evening boat tour, then back to hotel and turn in early.

Sun - Get up early and head to either the Luxembourg Gardens or rue Mouffetard - head to the 11:00 organ mass at Saint Sulpice - afternoon at Musee d'Orsay

Mon - Louvre at 9:00 - self guided walking tour of the young designers of the Marais - evening at the Eiffel Tower

Tue - Sainte Chapelle at 9:00 - Galleries Lafayette - Atelier des Lumieres (open until 6:00)

Wed - Versailles - dinner back near the hotel - Caveau de la Huchette (opens at 9:30)

Thu - Check out of the hotel and leave our luggage - Morning walking tour of Montmartre with Paris Greeters - return to the hotel and pick up transport to Alamo rental at CDG - Drive to Epernay (2 hours) for a 3:00 or later check in to the VRBO.

I would like to the pace to be "enough but not too much". I haven't done the real "tourist Paris" in many years! So, feedback would be appreciated.

Also, what is the best method of transportation to CDG for 5 with luggage? The hotel has parking, so, would it be a better idea to take the RER B straight to CDG from Versailles on Wed afternoon, pick up the rental and park it at the hotel and have the car at the hotel the next day to drive to Epernay?

Thanks again!

Posted by
1582 posts

Linda - Your itinerary looks good. If you want to avoid the hassle of driving from Paris, then catch a TGV train to Epernay. There is a car rental place by Avis at the Epernay train station. Rent the car there and drive to your destinations. The car rental in Epernay will be at a lower rate then at CDG.

https://www.wotif.com/Car-Hire-In-Epernay.d4799.Car-Hire-Guide

Vedettes du pont neuf Seine river cruise is much better than bateaux mouches.

https://www.vedettesdupontneuf.com/home/

Posted by
596 posts

Are you getting the 4-day Paris Museum Pass? D'Orsay, Louvre, Sainte Chapelle and Versailles are all covered by the pass so you'd probably save money since you're visiting them on consecutive days. http://en.parismuseumpass.com/

And another vote for the Vedettes du Pont Neuf. It's near Sainte Chapelle and the Conciergerie. We liked the boat ride so much we took it twice - once at mid-afternoon when we were tired and another day at sunset.

I was exhausted after a day at Versailles so we just grabbed an early meal at one of the restaurants in the town to give us enough energy for the train ride back to Paris. But you've been before so you know what you're in for.

Have a great trip. There's a trip reports forum, if you feel inclined to write it up afterwards.

Posted by
6529 posts

Instead of going out to CDG for the car, or paying five fares to Epernay, consider picking up the car at Gare de Lyon, not far from your hotel and a pretty straight shot out to the Peripherique, where you get on the road to Epernay. You might also pay less for the car (van?) by not renting it at the airport.

Posted by
26 posts

This looks like a great itinerary. We are doing something similar, but in reverse. Starting by renting a car at CDG and heading to Reims, and other touring before heading to Paris for 5 days. So, thank you for giving me ideas!