Please sign in to post.

Paris in the Winter?

We are headed to Paris in February to celebrate our 25th.
Has anyone been during this season? I anticipate grey days, some rainy and cold weather.
But, for those who have been, did you still enjoy your stay? Any tips to make the most of our time?
Thanks in advance!
Brent

Posted by
20146 posts

Been to Paris in February and it is always wonderful.

Posted by
11335 posts

We did mid-March for our 30th in 2015. Yes, cool to cold, but we had warm coats, etc. The day we went to Versailles it was warm and sunny enough to have coffee outdoors with our coats off! Bring an umbrella, gorge on museums, take long walks, eat well. Get a Paris Museum Pass.

Posted by
15589 posts

I cannot imagine being in Paris and not enjoying it - rain, shine, bitterly cold, sweltering hot, it's always PARIS. Dress warmly and plan to walk a lot. Short days mean more "after dark" time when all the beautiful buildings, bridges and monuments are floodlit.

Posted by
2393 posts

Days are short - but wonderful! Cafes have enclosures & heaters so you can still enjoy people watching. There are no crowds - so lovely. Enjoy!

Posted by
885 posts

My first time in Paris was in February and I was still instantly in love with the city. There are way less crowds, sightseeing is way easier. It's a great time to visit a place like Versailles (you can do the gardens some other time.) The colder weather will turn you into a leisurely cafe-goer in no time. Just dress appropriately, keep in mind you might be walking around in the cold more than you are used too. You don't quite realize when it's cold weather at home, that you're mostly just going quickly from place to place.

Posted by
7873 posts

went 1st time in February 2002. been back 9 times after based on the 1st impression.
you only need to read a guide book beforehand to pinpoint your interests so you will not need tips from strangers on how to make the most of your time

Posted by
308 posts

My husband and I celebrated our 15th anniversary in Paris in February this year and we really enjoyed it! It was cool, but not as cold as home in February. There were a couple of gray days with rain but a few with blue skies. The hotel rooms were reasonable enough in the 7th arrondissement that we splurged for the Eiffel tower view.

The main advantage of going in the winter is that you don't have to wait until 9:00 or 10:00 to see Paris at night. There are also less crowds.

Posted by
2466 posts

There are people who love winter.
There are people who love Paris.
There are some people who love both.
If you are all set to go to Paris for your anniversary, you might as well do it.
Dress warm.

Posted by
205 posts

Thank you all for the great responses! We are absolutely in! Thanks for the encouragement and the reminders for why we are going in the first place!

Posted by
796 posts

I did a RS Paris city tour in February and loved it. The weather varies greatly. Thin gloves and a scarf are recommended. I did buy a lovely wool hat at a market that I treasure at home too. Some days were barely above freezing in the morning, other days had afternoon temps warm enough to be in shirtsleeves. I use layers to help, a raincoat outer layer, a thick fleece with a hood and a scarf. I travel with thin and thick scarves as I wear them at home a lot. It is easy to take the scarf off and tie it around my purse.

Enjoy Paris.

Posted by
59 posts

Bonjour,
My husband and I were in Paris in mid August and I would go back tomorrow if I could. You will fall in love in Paris!
We stayed on the Ile St. Louis. It was charming and quiet. I would highly recommend this part of Paris as it is gorgeous! I am sure it is as beautiful in February! We stayed at the Hotel Du Jeu De Paume. If you like quiet at night and comfort this is a great hotel ,ask for the second floor overlooking the courtyard. enjoy!

Posted by
8065 posts

Big cities are generally good to visit in winter and Paris is no exception. So many of the things that make Paris great are indoors i.e. museums, the opera, other music performances, the famous passages, and of course cafes and restaurants. Cafes often have sort of plastic tents on their terraces in winter with heaters and others just have heaters when the weather otherwise allows sitting out. We like the fact that the cultural life is in full swing and we always go to at least one opera.

Posted by
2466 posts

One caveat - if smoke bothers you, you had better go inside the cafe or restaurant.
The business is supposed to keep one flap of Visqueen open to let the smoke escape, but they don't always do this.
If you are sensitive to heat on your head, those overhead heaters are murder!
Also, wear thick-soled shoes, or put some felt insoles inside. Your feet will be cold.

Posted by
8065 posts

Feet are key. the single most important garment to enjoy Paris in winter is waterproof shoes; I have some lightweight black hiking shoes from REI that are waterproof and it makes all the difference in the cold and rain. The second most important garment is a water resistant shell or trench coat that an be layered.

Posted by
3123 posts

I went to Paris in February this year and last year; and both times it was just wonderful. Take layers, a hat, a warm scarf and gloves, and good waterproof walking shoes and you'll be grand.
Not many tourists, no line ups at all even for big attractions, plenty warm places to have meals and coffee and drinks, lots of concerts to go to, and walks in wonderful crisp sunny weather if it doesn't rain.
In my opinion, its the best time to see N. European cities!

Posted by
919 posts

I've been in late December/early January and it was magnifique! Have the right clothes and you'll do great. By the way, you may really want to do your own thing, but I think a lot us who've taken the Rick Steves 7 day tour can't say enough good things about it. And the time I did the tour we had two couples celebrating an anniversary and belated honeymoon. Worth considering!

Posted by
2 posts

Hello my name is Sabrina and we want to go to Normandy from Paris in Dec 2017. Does anyone have any idea on the best way to get there or should we wait until spring 2018?

Posted by
2466 posts

Normandie is a large region.
You can normally get there by train, but you'd have better luck if you can narrow down some cities...

Posted by
2 posts

Ok, Thank You. I really want to go the beaches of Normandy. My grandfather talked about it alot. I believe I should take the train to Bayeux? I hope I am on the right track?

Posted by
11335 posts

Ok, Thank You. I really want to go the beaches of Normandy. My grandfather talked about it alot. I believe I should take the train to Bayeux? I hope I am on the right track?

Sabrina, You will get more help and answers directly to you instead of in this thread if you start a new topic.