Please sign in to post.

Paris in September 2023

Hello all
I will be traveling with my wife to Paris at the end of September, we are looking for suggestions on hotels, wine tours (champagne), and restaurants. We will be there for 6 days and will not have a car. I've read up on the different districts but really don't know the best areas to stay in. Thanks in advance for help.
Christopher

Posted by
4844 posts

Others will have different ideas, and that's okay. But in our opinion, nothing beats staying in the very center of the city. The Hotel des Deux-Iles is as centrally located as can be on Ile St. Louis. Not sure what their rates are now, but you can check it out using several web sites. There are also a couple of other hotels on the same street, and one of them is a sister hotel. If you cross the river you will be in the Marais -- cross it the other way and you'll be in The Latin Quarter. Walk to the end of the island, cross the bridge, and you'll be at the back of Notre Dame -- such as it is now as some of the immediate area is closed off. The Metro is near enough that getting anywhere is not a problem. There are also several restaurants on the island. If you decided to stay there, we can steer you to a great little place for breakfast as all hotel breakfasts seem to be over priced for what one gets. We can also tell you about several places for lunch and / or dinner on the island as well.

Posted by
1625 posts

I always recommend the 6th (aka Saint-Germain des Pres) as it feels very central and walking distance to the Louvre and Notre Dame, choose a hotel close to a metro for easy access to other parts of the city. A hotel within walking distance to the Siene is always a plus. Lot's of different price points for food, shopping and general walking around. I always felt very safe walking in this area. Try not to stay in a double-digit arrondissement, with just 6 days you don't want to spend your time on the metro just getting into central Paris.

Posted by
170 posts

I'll throw another idea in. I love to recommend the 7th, because you're so near the Eiffel tower! And the neighborhood is pretty with Rue Cler nearby and lots of other great restaurants. I stayed at a very charming hotel a few years ago - Hotel Muguet des Bois. Loved it!

Posted by
2130 posts

Another vote for the 7th arrondissement. Our favorite is the Hotel Empereur next to Napoleon’s Tomb. We walk everywhere from this area but there are numerous metro and bus stops nearby. September is a busy month so I’d make reservations soon!

Posted by
201 posts

For first time visitors, I'll add my vote for the 6th, particularly between the river and Blvd. St. Germain. Charming, central, full of shops, dining, galleries, etc. Walkable to a lot of what you might want to see. I generally stay in apartments these days, so can't speak to hotels in that area. I have stayed on Île St. Louis at Hotel Lutece (https://www.paris-hotel-lutece.com/hotel) and didn't mind it. The island is quiet, but personally I find it slightly less convenient than the 6th. That being said, I'd consider the island again in the future. I stayed in the 7th a couple times -- my first couple trips -- at Hotel Champs du Mars (https://www.hotelduchampdemars.com/) but personally found it less-than-central. I didn't realize how much so until I stayed in the 6th :-)

Posted by
27122 posts

I'd suggest using the location recommendations provided here and doing some exploration on a website like booking.com to see what might be available. September is reportedly the most popular month to visit Paris--an always-busy city--and it will not be as easy to find a hotel with availability for six nights as it would be for a shorter stay. It's entirely possible the specific suggestions you receive here (recommended in many cases because they are very nice and provide great value) will all be full at this point.

Posted by
343 posts

I love staying in the 6th, as close to the Seine as I can get. My current favorite hotel is Hotel Residence des Arts but it may already be booked for September

Posted by
8 posts

Hello all
Does anyone have recommendations on going to Reims? I thought about taking a train there and staying overnight any input would be much appreciated
Thanks

Posted by
822 posts

Reims is a 45 minute TGV ride from Gare de l'Est. Buy tickets sooner rather than later. You can stay the night but I didn't find the need to do so. I think Tattinger is still closed but Veuve is open and some others. Plus, of course, the Cathedral.

Best area to stay in Paris is subjective, but generally a single digit Arrondissement is recommended. Reserve asap because prices go up the closer you get.

Posted by
6901 posts

The trains are operated by SNCF and the SNCF Connect app or website sells tickets. I agree with the suggestion that a day trip could be enough, unless champagne is a really strong interest of yours (in which case, consider Épernay).