Please sign in to post.

Paris in May of 2024 before the olympics

I am trying to find out if the time we want to go to Paris - last 2 weeks of May 2024, will be impacted by the upcoming Olympics. This will be our first time in Paris.

Posted by
4412 posts

Well possibly, there could be last minute rush construction jobs and road/transpo repairs. And some sites might have restricted access or hours because they're getting spiffed up, but once you get inside a building it shouldn't matter.

Posted by
9599 posts

Yeah I think the buildup will have things a bit of a mess, although who knows in what areas the most annoying stuff will be.

Posted by
2546 posts

We can anticipate Olympic impact of all types long before the Olympics actually start. There will be game support staff, media staff, TV crews and many others in Paris well in advance of the games.

Posted by
770 posts

Obviously there's no crystal ball, but I wouldn't be surprised if flights are more expensive in April/May/June of '24 than they were for the same months in 2023. I just think there's going to be more global demand in and out of Paris leading up the Olympics -- businesses, press, dignitaries, auxiliary support, security, etc. More demand = higher prices. Will the same be true for accommodations? I don't know, but again, I wouldn't rule it out.

And yes, I do think there's going to be a construction scramble in those last couple months ... there always is! Actually the AP just had an article about this yesterday:
https://apnews.com/article/sports-parasports-paris-business-ea6e9cf65efc5681a035a6a616ce29de

Finally, do keep in mind that several popular tourist attractions are becoming Olympic venues. They may be in the process of that conversion in May. I would definitely check closer to time, including: Grand Palais (fencing); Place de Concorde (skateboarding); Champ de Mars (beach volleyball); and Esplanade des Invalides (archery).

Posted by
2 posts

I would like to thank everyone for their input - my thoughts are to wait to visit until after the Olympics.