Please sign in to post.

Paris in March

A few questions for those who have recently visited or currently in Paris. My husband and I are planning to spend two weeks in an apartment in LeMarais starting March 24th to celebrate an auspicious birthday. Pre covid we have repeatedly spent time in Paris as it is one of our most favorite cities in the world.
Have restaurants expanded their seating to outside (with heaters) the way many have in larger cities in the US? Have restaurants rearranged tables to increase distance between them, are windows/doors opened to improve air flow, etc.? Do bistros, cafes, brasseries have take away? Are people commonly eating indoors at restaurants or has covid/omicron affected people's behavior as has been the case in the US?
Part of our Paris experience is eating at old favorite places and trying new ones and I'm just trying to determine to what extent covid/omicron will affect that.
I realize that each person determines the level of risk they're willing to take and generally we're quite conservative/careful about what we do. Have people there made similar adjustments to how things are being approached here in the US or different and if so how?
TIA.

Posted by
9546 posts

Hi Mark and Arlene — restaurants had established all those outdoor terraces, but they had to remove them at end of September. Therefore the only terraces remaining are those that existed in normal times.

It’s been a long time since restaurants had to remove seating or space diners further from each other. That was the case early in the pandemic (when restaurants could even be open, that is — we went months and months without restaurants at all since we were in lockdown for so long).

Basically since the government established the pass sanitaire last summer, restaurants have been pretty much back to normal for those who are vaccinated and/or have proof of a negative test within the last. 24 hours. The thought is that since all visiting clients have been certified as “safe,” there wasn’t an issue (I know things may seem different with Omicron, but so far the rules haven’t changed.)

Many restaurants indeed expanded their delivery and/ or takeout options due to the lockdown and long months in curfew.

Posted by
2542 posts

The bulk of the government's efforts to protect those in cafés, restaurants, museums, concerts, etc., is to assure those around you are fully vaccinated. That is the purpose behind the pass vaccinal. It may be worth noting that presently, the qualifications for the pass vaccinal, full vaccination, are tighter that are the requirements to enter France, just vaccinated.

Posted by
116 posts

Thanks Tocard ---
"It may be worth noting that presently, the qualifications for the pass vaccinal, full vaccination, are tighter that are the requirements to enter France, just vaccinated."
What are the pass vaccinal requirements? Thanks in advance.